6. Beach Bum

It was scorching. So hot that my sun hat did me no justice under the sun, and the sand crystals burned at my skin. The shimmery blue water sparkled with the presence of the sunlight, and the seagulls squawked, adding to the yelling, screaming, and laughing. The waves were crashing hard, knocking people back to the shore, and there were some boats in the distance. It was all beautiful, making me wish I lived near a beach to come and enjoy the sounds of the waves crashing while reading a book.

It was like a maze trying to find a decent spot to set our belongings. The beach seemed to stretch on forever, but there was almost no space.

I stopped walking when I heard the group stop behind me. The moment I turned around, my eyes landed on Joey like a damn magnet. It was the first time I had seen him shirtless and the outline of his abs. The perspiration made his chest glisten, and his skin looked sun-kissed. The dusting of hair traveling south into his blue swim trunks made my head spin with dangerous desires that I couldn't escape. I had tingles throughout my body, and I assumed it was from the heat. We're going with that—the heat.

"This is the best we're going to find," Cameron said, dropping the bags in his hands. Dylan played low music through his portable speaker as we set up our towels and umbrellas. Plenty of shops and eateries lined the boardwalk and populated a generous amount of the crowd. I took some time to glance around, seeing beautiful houses on the hills that I could only dream of having.

"It's about time I got some color," Sam announced, dropping to her knees to lie on her stomach.

The guys got the cooler situated and rotated beers. "So, you're not getting in the water with me?" I asked my best friend, hoping the water would cool me down. She had her heart dead set on tanning, but it was just too damn hot.

"Not yet! Just let me . . . give me twenty minutes?" she said, her voice muffled from covering her face.

I nodded and threw my hat on my towel, releasing my wavy hair. I shook it out as I pulled at the strings to my cover-up and let it slide down the length of my arms. When I lifted my head, my gaze locked with Joey's as he watched me strip to my green, ruffled, polka-dotted bikini. His eyes were an even brighter shade of green from afar, and he had this look like he wanted to risk it all. He ran his fingers through his hair, giving it a shake from being under a hat during the drive here. The desire in his eyes almost made me burn in flames, the pit of my stomach in knots.

"Riley heads up," Cameron shouted, his voice alerting me. As soon as I turned around, a beach ball crashed into my face, making me step back. A surprised gasp escaped my lips as I watched the ball hit the ground, my face stinging from embarrassment. I gave him the finger and didn't bother returning to look at Joey. I assumed he was probably laughing, and it already humiliated me enough. Fucking Cameron.

"Asshole," I mouthed, kicking the ball toward Dylan.

"Baby, do you want me to wait until you finish tanning?" Cameron asked his girlfriend, towering over her body.

"No, go have fun. I'll be down in a few," my best friend answered, keeping her head low.

That was all Cam needed to hear before running past groups of people to get to the water. I followed the boys as Sam laid on her stomach, peacefully taking a moment to herself. I let my feet submerge into the water first, doing a little dance when I felt how cold it was. The iciness went away in seconds after standing there, and I got hot all over again.

Cameron and Dylan were racing; all I could see was their arms. Children swam near the edge with floaties or made sandcastles around me. I lightly kicked the water, feeling the sand turn into mush under me.

"Are you just going to stand there?" Joey asked, sneaking up on me. I could've sworn he was somewhere in the water already. I kept my vision straight ahead, watching the waves as I crossed my arms over my chest.