Chapter 13

Wei held the packet feeling elated at finally being able to give Yunlan something nice.
He had added a card to it. His hand had been shaking while he wrote it, many times he had taken the card away before putting it back, his breath caught in his throat while he repeated in his mind 'I can do it'.

He still wasn't sure if he would be able to give it to him, but he wanted to.
The word 'love' was easier to write that to say it out loud, but it was still heavy.
He had compromised for the moment, leaving it in the little bag, the final decision would be made when he would give him the gift.

'Yes I can,' he repeated to himself and he knocked at the door but nothing happened. He knocked again and this time he heard a noise from inside the apartment. So Yunlan was home, why hadn't he opened the door?

He imagined the worst things, maybe Yunlan was hurt and couldn't reach the door! He panicked then remembered that he hadn't given him his key back.

He took his wallet and fished out the key, then he opened the door.
He found himself face to face with a drunk Yunlan, as drunk as he could be.

He had a bottle of wine in his hand, and moving inside the apartment Wei noticed that the table was already full with empty cans and bottles. He wasn't too picky when it came to drinking, as long as it was alcohol it was fine with him.

"What happened? Yunlan, are you alright?"

"Alright? Am I alright? Why don't you go ask your pretty girl if she's alright, why ask me if I'm alright..."

"What are you talking about? I don't want to go back, I came to see you."

"Oh, but you liked spending the whole day with her, didn't you? Didn't you? Did you two have fun?"

"I was working Yunlan, you know that. You can't possibly be jealous of her again."

"Jealous? Why would I be jealous? Huh? Because you leave me here to spend the whole day with her? Why, you ask?"

This was surreal, Wei couldn't believe it, it had to be the alcohol talking, so he tried to reason with him.
"Come on Yunlan, you must know by now that I like men! How can you be jealous of a girl!"

"But you let her touch you!"

"When did I..."

"You let her buy you stuff and put her hands on you!" Yunlan was yelling now, and Wei felt chills down his spine.
How could he know that she bought something for him?

"Did you spy on us?" Wei was astonished, he couldn't believe this was real.

"You bet I did! You thought I'd never know? You thought you could do whatever you want during the day and have me on the side during the night? Is that why you won't leave your 'work'? What do you do for her that she buys you food and gifts?"

So he also knew about lunch. He had spent the whole day following him and spying on him... and now he was implying that he was some kind of prostitute. Wei felt a pain in his heart that he had never known before.

He turned, heading for the door. He heard Yunlan scream: "Where are you going, you can't leave like that, are you going back to your rich mistress? You could have told me, I can buy you anything you want!"

Wei stopped, his heart ached so much that he thought he would faint on the spot. He didn't even turn to look at him. "It's over," he said. "I won't be coming here anymore."

He opened the door then stopped again, feeling something in his hand that he never wanted to see again.
"By the way, this is for you. I hope you like it."

He threw the little bag towards him forgetting all about the card then he quickly got out and went away as fast as possible. When he was finally out he realised by the way people looked at him that he was crying.
He didn't wait for the bus, he lowered his head and ran home.

~~~~~

It took Yunlan a while to realise what had happened. It was like an ice cold shower.
Wei...had...left...him...

He saw the packet on the floor, only a few feet away from him, and he picked it up. It was a blue shirt, just like the one she had in her hands when she got close to him... was it the same one? Was it for him?

There was also a card. "Nothing can express how much I love you, but I hope you will wear it and think of me, as I always think of you."

Yunlan fell on his knees, the card started getting wet but he did nothing to wipe away his tears. Wei loved him? What had he done?

~~~~~

Wei reached the house he shared with his only friend and as he opened the door he heard that he was home.
Chu was on the phone, probably talking to a friend, and he heard him say, "Come on, what are you a wussy?........ahahah yeah nice excuse, have you become a faggot all of a sudden? You should warn me, man, if I need to watch my back around you..."

Wei slammed the door shut and went to his room. Only now Chu noticed him and excused himself with his friend to check on him.
He knocked on his door then entered. "Ehi Shen, are you alright? Did your belle leave you or something?" He tried to joke, but Wei was not in the mood.

"HE didn't leave me, but we broke up anyway."

Chu was stunned, he didn't know but he saw his friend's pale face and his red eyes and moved closer.
"I'm sorry," he said. "Is there something I can do? Do you want something to drink?"

Wei's eyes filled again with tears. "Just leave me alone, aren't you angry that I didn't warn you you had a faggot in the house?"

"What?"
But then Chu remembered what he said on the phone. "No,wait, I'm sorry, that was just guy-talk, I was joking, I didn't mean... I didn't know that you... I mean, I never thought about it, I didn't mean to offend you, we're friends, I'm really sorry..."

He felt so bad about it, he never really thought that his words might be offensive, but now seeing his friend in that state he didn't know what to do.
Tears started falling from Wei's eyes like a waterfall, and he panicked. "I'm sorry, I really am, please Shen..."

Wei shook his head. "I understand," he said, and he did, he knew that Chu wasn't a bad person, he had just been taught that certain things were funny, he didn't really mean it in a bad way, but it had been such an aweful night that he couldn't fake it.

He had simply wanted to get home and bury himself under the blankets, but his emotional state was a mess right now, he had slammed the door shut! He never let his feelings out so much. That had brought Chu to him and the words had been out of Wei's mouth without restraint, there had been nothing he could do to hold them in, like he couldn't hold his tears.

"I understand, really, but I just can't stop! It's over, Chu, it's over and it hurts so much."

Chu had never been in such a situation before and didn't really know what to do, so he acted on instinct. He sat near him on the bed and wrapped him in his arms, gently patting his back. "There there, stop crying, just give me his name and I'll beat him up for you ok?"

Wei broke into uncontrollable sobs and they stayed like that for a while, until he had cried so much that he fell asleep from exhaustion.