~Chapter 26: The Truth, part 2~

"Are you ready?", I ask Mitch and he nods briefly

"Are you ready?", I ask Mitch and he nods briefly. I see he wipes his hands on his pants, off his nerves.

A few minutes ago, I called Pax and told him to come quick. Pax will be here any minute.

Mitch has the polygraph in his hand, not yet turned it on. Now it's time to get Pax. I want answers and he's gonna give them to me. Hopefully he'll give them to me without struggle.

But he won't answer it, they're too personal and when I was in his shoes I won't answer either.

Mitch has a transparent electric net over the alley, where we are waiting for Pax, attached on all sides. It's made for people from other dimensions, they wouldn't be able to see the whole net and wouldn't understand when they get a shock.

But we don't know if it works, the net, because it's never been tested before. We're the first to use it.

Mitch and I made a plan that we both wait for him. Without him seeing our weapons. My weapon is my sword, which I've attached to my back so I can pull it right out of his sheath whenever I need it.

Today I picked him up for the first time in months and didn't get any more weird vision. Now I remember how I wielded my sword, but I don't know if I can do it now. Mitch's weapon is the lie detector.

I tried to persuade him to bring a butter knife if necessary, but not a hair on his head that he's gonna walk around with a weapon - even a butter knife - and use it instead of what it's meant for. To spread bread. He believes and is confident that we can get out of it by talking.

I hear footsteps. Soft and almost impossible to get out over the sound of the sea, but the wind carries the sound. Is that Pax?

And indeed, a few seconds later, Pax sticks his head around the corner of the alley. Mitch and I are standing next to each other, with our hands behind our backs. I throw him a short smile and see Mitch' sending an angry look at Pax, when Pax smiles back.

"You wanted to see me here, Hazel?" He's looking at me, pretending not to see Mitch. I have to chuckle inside myself for their behavior, alpha male behavior.

"Yeah, we were wondering something," I say and wink him.

Pax takes one step forward, but then stands still like frozen and looks forward. To the net that Mitch has stretched above him. I see in the corner of my eye that Mitch quickly presses the piece, which will drop the net. But he's not fast enough and Pax steps back quickly, so the net only traps air.

Slowly and with small steps Pax walks away, out of the alley. His gaze is full of horror and horror, when he looks at the net. A small electric spark jumps to the ground.

Mitch stands beside me like frozen. I look at Pax and see him shaking his head, after which he increases his pace backwards.

"Pax!" I call out his name. I don't want him running away. But when his eyes look at me, there's a stab through my heart. They're hurt. His hazel-brown eyes are not happy, but sad.