Chapter 9-Salma's past

"Life is not about how many breathes you take but the moments that take your breath away"

Mid December 

It was the time of 6.30 am. Clouds and fog had covered the entire city. Nothing was clear nor has the sun shown its mercy. Everyone is in their houses or bed enjoying the warmth of their houses. 

At that moment, Shaheenabad was full of police officers. New murder case had come and this was making A. S. P Hassan furious and tensed. The condition of the dead body was atrocious. Different scars could be seen on the arms and face of the girl. Torture on her dead body was telling the tale of her heart wrenching pain and then death. 

Hassan's eyes were red due to the anger.

"Sohail! " 

"Yes Sir! " he came near him. 

"Sent the body for postpartum and asked them to thoroughly examine the girl. It seems that she has also been raped"

"Ok sir"

Sohail left immediately. 

Another police officer came toward him with a poor woman. That woman saw the body and started wailing. She was the mother of that poor child. 

"Asiya! " She was calling her daughter's name while wailing. People gathered around to see this scene, the only thing in which they were good. Hassan's heart was filled with hate and pain with every cry and wail of the woman. 

"My child! My daughter! " That words were echoing in that dark morning. 

                .........................

Sleep remained away from Salma's eyes as she kept on weeping and wailing. Different flashes of her past kept on coming in the night that made her more miserable. She was unable to understand why life was playing tricks on her? Why was life bitter on her? What she had done to deserve such treatment of fate? Why was her life deprived of happiness? With these questions, some faces and scenes came in front of her eyes. 

Mid January 

It was a house in a village where seventeen years old Salma got married. In the foggy morning of Mid January, she became the bride of nineteen years Sohail. Seventeen years of her, sitting on the bed, filling her eyes with beautiful dreams, in her mind she was in a beautiful land with Sohail; that beautiful bride was full of hopes and dreams. 

Sohail entered the room and she quickly lowered her gaze, a smile started playing on her lips. Sohail came near the bed but didn't sit near her nor said something sweet to her. Rather, he asked her in an order and stern tone to change the clothes. 

"Go and change them. They are disgusting"

This tone and attitude broke her dreams and hopes. She stared at him in disbelief, but seeing his stern and intimidating form, she shivered and stood from her place to change the clothes. Though, The house was an antiquated one but it was suitable and contained all accessories for its residents. She changed into a blue dress and entered the room. Confusion and fear etched on her face at seeing him. She stood in the centre while he was lying on his side of bed. Her soul mate didn't give importance to her. She, reluctantly, layed on her side of bed. After some moments, she felt darkness had engulfed the room. With it, she also felt Sohail's presence near her body, and then his calloused palms on her soft skin. And with it, her weird wedding night came to an end. 

                     ........................

Next day, her eyes opened due to voices in the room. She saw that Sohail was packing his stuff, and was getting ready to leave. Confusion came in her eyes.