Chapter 14-Sohail

"If you want to kill somebody, conquer his heart, then leave slowly and leave him between death and madness"

-Nizar Qabbani

Mid December.

"Ayesha Sohail Jameel"

Those words were echoing in Sohail's ears. His mind was unable to register the grief which his heart was feeling at this moment. Pain and grief had jabbed his heart and made him numb. He was staring, with shock, at Salma and Ayesha who were going out after filing their report.

Salma, while leaving the room, glanced toward him who was filled with shock and grief. For a brief moment, their eyes clashed with each other. Tales of suffering and loneliness were evident in both eyes which were giving hard blows to their hearts. They remained still in their places when Ayesha tugged her hand, making them out of their daze. They tore their eye contact and stared at the third wheel of their life. Salma gave a weak smile to her daughter and went away from the office.

Sohail remained standing there for a while and then, with determined strides went toward Salma.

In no time, he was in front of her, not caring about his surroundings. Salma's eyes had now become cold at seeing his determined frame.

"Please move away, officer. I have to leave."

"What is this Salma? Who is she? " he asked, still shocked

"Ayesha, go toward the gate, I'm coming." she said to her daughter with a smile.

Ayesha started going away from them.

Salma's heated gaze turned toward him.

"You have listened to it in the office. She. Is. Ayesha Sohail. I think this is very clear who she is, Sohail Jameel"

There is bitterness in her tone.

"But when Salma......? You never told me about it." he was still shock

"Think about the past and you will get the answer" Salma said with a bitter smile and moved away from him.

And he remained there with a bruised heart.

With the same broken heart, he dragged himself into his house. With tear welled eyes, he opened the drawer and picked Salma's picture in his hand. He kept on staring at the smiling picture with a sad smile and tear welled eyes. Staring at the picture, abruptly his surroundings started to change and his mind ran back to his village house. His mind started to roam in the past, on the days of mid May when that incident happened in their life.

Mid May:

It had been one and half month since he had come back from his village. He was busy in his training, that's why he was not able to visit his village, to visit his newly bride Salma. In his first days of marriage, he was rude to Salma because it was the perspective of village people that men should rule upon his wife. Speaking politely to his wife is a symbol of weakness to his people. They had made this attitude a part of their culture. And due to this thinking, he was arrogant and harsh to Salma in his first days of marriage.

But after coming back from the village and getting settled in the city, his mind started to change. Here, he got acquaintance with some of his teachers and with some religious figures. And those people changed his mindset. They told him that Islam doesn't allow a man to become bitter with his wife. Our Prophet (P.B.U.H) has given special preaching of husband wife relationship. He has told us that the best person among people is the one who is on the best attitude with his wife.

These preachings changed his mindset and he decided to become polite with his wife. Those words, those verses of Quran; affected his heart and changed his whole world and feelings.