Chapter 10-Miseries of life

What hurts you, blesses you
         Darkness is your candle

                        -Rumi-

Mid December

The lounge of that small house was filled with voices. Faris was sitting beside T. V, watching A.S.P Hassan's media talk. Daneen was busy frying eggs when the bell rang. Salma was standing on the doorstep with her timid Daughter, Ayesha. 

"Assalam o Alaikum" Salma greeted her. Daneen replied to her and motioned her to come inside. When Salma locked the door behind her, at that moment Daneen observed that her daughter was also with her. 

"Your daughter also come? " Daneen asked with a smile. At this question, Faris also turned his head to see the little girl, who was standing near her mother, clutching the hem of her dress. 

"Yes Ma'am. My daughter will also come with me from now on. I can't leave her alone from now on because I have suffered a lot at my decision of leaving her alone" Salma said with bitterness. 

"Of course Salma! You are allowed to take your child with you " Daneen said with a smile and saw her daughter who had fear on her face and clenching her mother's dress. 

Faris didn't say anything and averted his gaze toward the screen where still A. S. P was speaking. 

Salma started to clean the lounge with Ayesha at her side all the time. Salma cleaned the table and while doing it, her gaze averted toward the screen where police were standing near her area. She stopped to listen to the news. A. S. P's speech told her that another murder had been done in her area. Her chest became tightened at this. She saw her daughter who was now observing things in the lounge. Salma, with a worried face, turned around toward the kitchen when she heard a familiar voice. Salma's world, her heart and everything around her stopped, and she turned her gaze toward the screen with utter shock and disbelief. Her gaze became blurry at the sight. Sohail was standing near the A.S.P and now asking the media to finish their questions. Then she saw him escorting A.S.P toward the police van and sitting beside him. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes but she was trying hard to hold them back.
She had seen him after eight years

                ........................

Faris became bored at seeing the news so he switched off the television and entered the backyard. Sunlight was giving a soothing effect to skin and soul. He laid down on the deck chair and closed his eyes. He was in deep thoughts and creases were present on his forehead. 

He opened his eyes at the voice. Daneen had come,sitting beside him and arranging tea on the table. There were two cups; one for her and one for Faris. 

"Add sugar as much as you want," she said while giving him a sugar pot. 

"I don't like sugar" he simply stated this, and started sipping sugarless tea. 

"I can sense it with your attitude," She said sarcastically. 

Faris raised his brow at this comment but said nothing to her. They took sips from tea in complete silence.

"Do you know me before our marriage? " she asked him,again. This question was disturbing her and she wanted the answer to it. 

Faris glared at her and replied. 

"Yes, I do! " he replied in a cold voice. 

"But I didn't know you. So how is it possible that you give your trust to me and I broke it. If I didn't know you so how can I keep promises from you. How can you expect this from an ignorant person?" She asked in a calm tone.