Chapter Twenty: The Reveal

The village walls were manned with soldiers clad in leather with spears and even swords. Militiamen and mercenaries alike were armored and ready for battle. Men with bows and arrows were standing by in good discipline. Some among them were from Benarus' personal forces. They were clad in chainmail or even plate and wielding swords. A few militias even wielded axes and no shield, but this was not a popular choice. Only a fool would throw away shield protection for more hitting power.

And Tanith had done just that.

Lord Benarus wore a beautiful suit of armor inlaid with silver. One that could have looked more practical without. At his side was a fancy sword that Relma doubted would be much good in a real fight. Well, it might, but it would be chipped and ruined at the end of it.

They made their way through the village, watching as crowds of people fled into their homes. Others left to join the soldiers already assembled. Carts filled with arrows were hauled by oxen near the walls. Relma saw several ballistae being erected behind the walls. Only they were pointing upwards.

They were meant to kill dragons.

"Do you think we'll be able to stop them?" asked Ronald.

"Possibly," said Pan. "Our best hope is using a hostage. But if it comes to a full-on war, Father and I should be able to even the odds."

"Benarus, the wolves, will be yours to deal with," said Aren. "Pandora and I will contend Telix. And Wrynncurth if he takes the field."

"Can you defeat him?" asked Relma.

Aren remained silent. "I don't know. If it were Telix, I think so. We've had one or two run-ins in the past. But Wrynncurth is another matter. If he actually starts making full use of his magic, I'll be hard-pressed to hold him at bay."

"So we are facing the black dragons alone," said Frederick. "No matter, the valor and courage of the men of Harlenor are greater than any shield."

"I hope so," muttered Ronald. "Wrynncurth can melt shields."

"It may not come to that," said Aren. "Wrynncurth wouldn't have returned Relma if he were interested in a full-scale war. But Telix may do something reckless. That is my concern."

They reached the walls. As they did, Argath looked around. "Where the devil is Tanith? She only just walked out? She couldn't have gotten far before the warning bell sounded."

"She left in a fury with all her men." said a soldier. "She told them that Benarus had refused to pay them. Do you think they'll come back when they see the fighting?"

"No," said Argath. "Tanith may love war, but she never forgives an insult. That's how we got here."

"Permission to join the defense," said Estela.

Argath looked up and nodded to her. "Granted. We'll need all the help we can get. But, Ronald, you don't have to stay if you don't want to?"

Ronald shifted nervously, and Relma saw his hands shaking. "Well, I would. But if the wolves get over the wall, it'll be the end for all of us anyway. And I've been a part of all this. So I'd rather not drop out of the story until the end if it's all the same to you."

"Fair enough," said Argath before looking to Frederick. "Frederick, would you see that these two are armed for war. I don't want them coming into an early grave."

And Relma was forgotten. No one looked at her. Putting her hand to Lightning Trail, she felt a heat within it. Some spell was over her, making her fall from people's memories. Was Elranor making her unnoticed so she wouldn't be killed? Or was it for something else?