Chapter Fifteen: The Caverns of the Goblins

Estela read many books for Ergath that day, pausing only to eat and drink. He listened as he sheared his sheep one by one with a practiced skill and gentle hand. It was apparent the creatures were quite fond of him. Now and again, he would look down to ask a question, seeming to have genuine interest. Sometimes Estela would have an answer, sometimes she would not.

Either way, Ergath's reaction would be the same. He would make a sound with his mouth and not look up. If not for the questions, Relma thought she wouldn't know if he was listening at all. Ronald set about cooking a meal from the supplies he had gathered. Eating cheese was something one could get sick of very quickly. Relma would have offered to help, but Ronald preferred people to help with his cooking. Halflings took that kind of thing personally.

So she found herself with nothing to do at all. Relma didn't like not being necessary and spent this time petting some of the sheep. As she did, she wondered if her Father, Hadleim, had ever been to a place like this. He'd been a great warrior, hadn't he?

It didn't really interest her.

She looked up to Ergath. "So, do you have any family?" she asked.

"No, nothing of the sort," said Ergath, shaking his head. "Living together under one roof is a peculiarity of the smaller races. We giants are far more sensible. Children are raised by their mothers and sent out independently once they are mature.

"We keep in some contact; we've had to do so, what with the occasional army that tries to root us out. But we keep to ourselves for the most part."

"You keep a strange hoard for a giant," noted Estela.

"Well, it isn't a good idea to hoard treasure when you live so close to the black dragons," said Ergath, raising one hand and moving it through the air. "So we hoard other valuable items. My family accumulates books and keeps them in good condition.

"We've picked up the details of reading the text quickly enough. We just kidnapped some educated merchants and forced them to show us. It helps communicate, but the text is too small to read.

"Still, they are valuable."

"But how do you know so much about your father if he didn't raise you?" asked Relma. She knew only what she had been told by Argath and Aunt Pan. Which wasn't very much, though she hadn't asked that much.

Relma should ask more about Hadleim when she gets the chance. The information might prove useful, and it could look bad if she didn't know it.

"Well, I was the youngest and strongest," said Ergath with a smile. "So I was sent by my late mother to act as his heir. One of my sisters stayed with her and inherited Mother's cave."

"And where is that?" asked Relma.

"Oh, some miles off," said Ergath, stretching his huge shoulders as he shifted in his stone seat. "The exact location escapes me. I haven't been back there for many years." He put down the sheep he was shearing, and another came onto his lap.

"Don't you ever miss your family?" asked Relma.

"Well, I meet them occasionally," said Ergath, stretching his neck. He did not seem to like sitting still. "But we giants don't really mind being on our own. We don't hunt in packs like humans or wolves."

"We aren't anything like wolves," said Estela.

Ergath looked down. "Are you so certain?"

No one said anything. There wasn't anything to say.

Then Ergath looked up. He closed his eyes, then opened them. Relma had the feeling he had sensed something and wondered how he had. "...Ah, here they are. You spoke correctly. I will not eat you or your friends, after all. They are still some miles off, and they may not find us.