Chapter Two: Unsurprising Revelations

They arrived home.

Home was a house that Ronald's Father had set aside for Aunt Pan to live in. It was near the border of the Halfling lands, and Relma had always liked the place. It was a one-room cottage built of stone. But the inside was lined with wood to block out the cold. Furs lined the walls as well.

Aunt Pan was outside of it as always, tending to the garden. When she saw Aren, she blinked. Then, at once, she stopped what she was doing and made her way up to him.

"Aren, I wasn't expecting you here," said Aunt Pan.

Aren shrugged. "Of course, you weren't. I need to discuss something with you, and it can't wait."

"Very well," said Aunt Pan. "Let's discuss it." She looked at Relma. "Relma, wait here. We'll speak alone."

Relma nodded and walked some ways away. They often spoke like this. For a while, she had thought Aunt Pan was just a friend of Aren's. Someone he said with for information. That was how she tried to pass it off, anyway.

Of course, that explanation fell flat when you considered that no one else spoke to Aren as an equal.

As soon as the door shut, Relma immediately ran up to the window and listened by it.

"Relma?" said Ronald. "What are you doing?"

Relma put a finger to her lips in a gesture of silence. Ronald got the point.

"Why haven't you taught her to read by now?" she heard Aren say.

"I didn't judge it necessary," said Aunt Pan.

"Didn't judge it necessary?" asked Aren. "Do you know how important being able to write letters is? The girl may have much writing to do in her life."

"I will teach her when she is ready," replied Aunt Pan.

"When she is-" Aren sputtered. "Do you want the girl to grow up without a thought in her head? You should start teaching her now."

"We agreed that her education was in my hands," said Pan.

"Yes. We did," said Aren. "Unfortunately, it doesn't seem you are giving her an education."

"I am teaching her humility. I didn't learn to read at her age," said Pan. "And the more mundane variety of skills could be useful."

"Well, stop. You've hammered that lesson in hard enough, and she is starting to resent it," said Aren. "I want you to teach her how to read beginning now. What are the other aspects of her education?

"I assume you haven't just been giving her a humble upbringing on a farm."

Dead silence. Relma smiled.

"...You did," said Aren incredulously. "What were you thinking?"

"I didn't want her growing up believing she was somehow better than everyone else," said Aunt Pan.

"Yes," said Aren. "And as a result, she is approaching adulthood and lacks the necessary skills."

"There is still time," said Pan. "Her bloodline will make it easier. And anyway, there is no certainty that it is her destiny. Far from it, we could still be waiting-"

"Destiny is unpredictable," said Aren. "And even if it isn't her destiny, she will need more practical skills. Or have you heard nothing of Duke Vanion?"

"You said Vanion was of no concern," said Aunt Pan.

"That was years ago, Pan," said Aren. "I misjudged him. I assumed that his connection to Melchious would end his career. Instead, he used it to engineer the downfall of his enemies. He has become the governor of Artarq and will be in command of the front line against Calisha. Any victories that are won there will increase his glory. And if he is defeated, it will be an even worse disaster.