Chapter Sixteen: Lightning Trail

They looked back toward the cave entrance, and Relma was expecting to see Ajax coming up after her in a rage. Smoke was rising in high clouds, and snarling and fighting was heard. She saw no one yet, and that relieved her. She was not looking forward to the idea of having to fight Ajax at all. If she could stall until she got Lightning Trail, though, she should be able to handle it.

Lightning Trail was a legendary weapon, capable of transforming the face of entire battlefields. Anoa had banished entire legions of demons with it at several points. Once Relma laid hands on it, everything would work out.

Just stay calm and keep going.

"What is going on?" asked Ronald.

"It must have been the trap Ergath set," said Estela. "Hurry up, both of you."

"I hope Ajax and the others are alive," murmured Relma as they climbed.

Estela gave Relma a look. "You're joking."

"They aren't bad people," argued Relma. "Just driven by the will of Telix." Killing Ajax would be a terrible idea. It would escalate things and start a blood feud. The last thing she needed.

"I'd hate to see what you qualify as a bad person, Relma," said Estela.

They scaled ever higher, and the sound of fighting grew ever dimmer. Soon, they seemed to walk faster as the remaining distance flew by. Before long, they were nearing the peak. The air became thinner and colder, but Relma hardly felt it.

For she could see a swirling storm cloud above the mountain. All of them surrounded a single point. As she drew near, she saw what she had been looking for. "There it is."

Lightning Trail was a chipped, somewhat twisted, and dull blade. It was hanging from the clouds a few feet above the peak. But that didn't diminish it in the slightest.

For Relma, at least. Those clouds had hung there for thousands of years. The sword kept them there.

"... It's somewhat uh..." began Ronald.

"Less illustrious than you were expecting." guessed Relma.

She should have been disappointed. But, then again, it wasn't about the sword. It was about drawing it.

"Well, what were you expecting?" laughed Estela. "Lightning Trail's power came from the wielder. Well, that and the Heaven's Eye."

"You mean the gem in the pommel?" asked Relma. "Where is it?"

"Gail took the gem out when he placed it in the sky," said Estela.

"Why'd he do that?" asked Relma.

"I imagine he thought putting an artifact of unlimited holy power for anyone to pry out was a bad idea," said Estela. "Don't worry. The gem is down in Gel Carn, under the protection of the Steward.

"If any of us draw the sword, you need only convince him to hand it over."

"Well, that sounds much easier than I was expecting," said Relma.

"Yes, right," said Estela. "Relma, the Steward has sworn to hand power over to Anoa the Bright's heir. As soon as they appear, but he isn't going to do it."

"What makes you so sure?" asked Relma.

"Well, think about it. You and your family have ruled over a Kingdom in all but name for generations. Then, some random farm boy showed up with a sword, demanding to be made the king. Would you hand it over?"