"you should be the last one talking about somebody being stubborn" he said while waving me off.

"how do you think your dad would feel about me spending the night or something?" i asked softly.

lathan shrugged his shoulders as he rubbed his temples. he put his blunt out and yawned while leaning against his headboard.

"i don't think my pops will trip..he's pretty chill." he said biting down on his lip.

"good because i don't wanna leave" i said as i made myself comfortable in his bed once again. lathan looked at me like i was crazy as he laughed a little.

"you must be on crack shawty..you know ya moms ain't going for that, you mindswell get up" he said while snatching the covers off my body.

i whined and snatched them back from him causing him to chuckle.

"lala foreal, i'll drive you home, i don't want you to get in trouble because of me" he said while patting my thigh.

i rolled my eyes because he was right. my mom would split her wig if she found out i didn't come home, let alone spend the night at a boy's house. she expressed to me that she didn't like lathan. claiming he has "bad spirits" hovering over him. i remember her telling me that after he dropped me off from school one day.

i didn't know what she meant by that but i didn't care, that wasn't going to stop me from spending time with him.

i always came over his house unbeknownst to her, as far as she was concerned i was out shopping with one of the friends i made from school bethany. she was a white girl who was in my world history class.

she was super sweet and hella chill so we vibed immediately.

"my mom doesn't even know i'm here..you probably only tryna put me out because you have your lil girlfriend coming over later" i said while smacking my teeth.

"girlfriend?" he asked. i nodded my head and rolled my eyes while getting up to gather my things.

"yes 'girlfriend' you heard what i said nigga" i said rolling my eyes at him. lathan shook his head at me.

"you a trip, got sum nerve to have a stank ass attitude, you wanna spend the night over here that bad?" he questioned

"yes" i whined. lathan scratched the back of his head acting like he was in deep thought.

"man ight, but in the morning i'm kicking yo ass out" he said while unzipping his purple bape sweater.

"boy fuck you, you ain't putting nobody out" i said while i sat my phone on his nightstand.

lathan flicked me off before rummaging through the drawers of his dresser.

"lathan" i said while playing with my fingers. he glanced at me once before he went back to getting his clothes out for what i assume was a shower.

"what's up ma?" he said while closing his drawer to focus on me. he walked back over to his bed and took a seat now listening to me intently.

"you know how you told me you used to make music.." i said softly. he nodded his head while looking at me as if he wanted me to get to the point.

"yeahhh what about it?" he said.

"can i listen to it?" i questioned. lathan laughed and shook his head waving me off. he kept laughing until he looked at my face, seeing i didn't smile. i was genuinely interested in hearing his craft.

"you being fr ?" he asked. i nodded my head while tucking my silk straightened hair behind my ear.

"yes...i wanna see if you were any good" i said giggling. lathan rolled his eyes playfully before getting up to retrieve his laptop that sat on his dresser.

"you lucky i'm nice" he said. i waved him off while watching him look through numerous files in one of his personal folders on his laptop.

he clicked on a link and music instantly filled the room.

the beat started off slow making me tune in even more because that's the kind of music i like.

you so bad yeah, and baby i want you so bad yeah, you so bad yeah and baby i want you so bad yeah, you so bad, and baby i want you so bad yeah, you so bad yeah and baby i want you so bad yeah

you could tell just from his voice that this was long ago, he sounded so pure and innocent. i smiled while listening to the lyrics.

baby ion really cuff girls, but baby i'll cuff you, cause i really want you

"who'd you make this about?" i asked while vibin to the music. lathan glanced at me and shook his head.

"i wouldn't even be able to tell you because i have no idea" he said shrugging.

girl nothing last forever, but baby i swear i can fuck you till' whenever, usually i play, but i ain't playing whatsoever

"lathan you were like 14, you didn't know shit about fucking" i said in disgust making him chuckle.

"mannn whatever i was fucking before i even got in high school you don't know what you talkin about shawty" he said while laughing. he paused the song and sat his laptop beside him.

"so what you think?" he asked. i smiles and shrugged my shoulders.

"i like it..i wanna hear more of what you have though because i know for a fact that's not your only song" i said softly while staring into his pretty brown eyes.

"why'd you stop?" i asked making him shrug his shoulders.

"i don't really know..i met the whole gang when i was a freshman and you know how that go, i started doing stupid shit, selling drugs, hitting licks on niggas..allat, i was young and dumb, i let that gang shit get to my head, music became the least of my concerns" he said while looking down at his tattooed hands.

drugs? hitting licks? he was in a gang? i decided not to ask about it just yet but i would eventually. just not right now.

"well..show me more of your music..we're about to get you back on track"
___
"ima see you later ight ma" lathan said while i unbuckled my seatbelt.

"okay ugly..facetime me when you get home okay, remember what i said about that music shit..write a lil sumn and show me" i said while leaning over to hug him, getting a whiff of his fresh cologne in the process of doing so.

"aight shawty" he said while watching me get out his car. i waved as he pulled off. i heaved a breath while looking down at my phone to see what time it was

10:32 am.

"shit" i said to myself while i unlocked the front door. i braced myself as i walked into the house, quietly closing and locking the door behind me.

i didn't see anybody in sight so i assumed i was safe but i was wrong, because out of nowhere i see my mom sitting at the kitchen table drinking out of her coffee mug.

"where have you been?"