24. Parents From Hell

Start from the beginning

My eyes landed in his direction. He sat straight up, leaning back in the cushioned chair.

James cleared his throat dramatically, not even looking at Joey, but speaking to him. "You have a choice. You've always had a choice, but you didn't seem to pick the right one." I watched his dark orbs scan Joey's date with a sarcastic look on his face before glancing at the rest of the table. He didn't even speak to anyone else, just gave dirty looks. Like we weren't worthy of being at this event—or questioned how we got tickets in the first place.

"Is that necessary, Dad? You haven't spoken to us in weeks and didn't bother coming to my ceremony, and you're picking on Joey?" Sam stood up for her brothers. I loved how she treated them like her sons, always there for them, and they treat her with the same respect.

Her mom grinned. "He's not picking on him, Samantha. Your brother's just made some interesting . . . decisions."

Joey clenched his jaw, annoyed at their presence. "How long ago was that? Right, you wouldn't know."

"Judging by the whore you brought to a family event, I don't see anything has changed. You too, Dylan." James said, taking me by surprise. I didn't like his date being here, but that was just rude.

Krista's neck jerked back along with Veronica's. Their faces curled, getting up to walk away from the table in despair. I get it—that's embarrassing.

Dylan interjected. "It's a family event, but you come here starting shit with us?"

"Watch your tone with your Father. This is not the time"—Margaret looked over both shoulders before clearing her throat—"nor place to be discussing this. You know we're always busy. I don't get why you kids complain; we support you financially."

Sam ruefully laughed. "Then when is the right time? You disappear for months and try to make us feel like shit? Giving us money every week doesn't fix the fact we're all fucking broken because we have mommy and daddy issues. What did we ever do to you?"

James adjusted his collar. "The reason is with you now, actually. You're dating someone that does nothing for the family name. Just some boy that's with you for money, Samantha Grace." He said.

Cameron rose from his seat, about to speak, but her dad palmed his shoulder. "Sit. Down. Boy. You don't want to get involved in this." James demanded. The look on Cameron's face nearly broke my heart.

Everyone else at the table remained quiet, unsure what to say. Joey seemed over the conversation, wanting them to walk away. His own parents beating him up about childish choices he's made? And poor Cameron. He treats Sam better than anyone she's ever dated, and they talk about him like he's nothing?

"Anyways, how's the house? Is it still a brothel pad?" James asked, adding fuel to the fire.

Joey wet his lips before standing up. "It's time for you to leave. Both of you. We don't want anything to do with you."

Before his Father walked away, Joey took it upon himself to dismiss himself from the table. I wanted nothing but to follow him and make sure he's okay, but James chased after him.

His Dad caught up to him, grabbing the crease of his arm to stop him. Joey angrily stood with his legs spread apart and balled his fist to his side. I watched them engage in a heated, quiet argument while everyone remained silent. They were arguing for a good ten minutes before Joey wiped his hands down his face. Dylan quickly ran to his brother's side after Sam pointed out that he looked as if he were about to explode with anger.

Chris kept talking about himself, but I found myself too distracted. James quickly stepped away after faking a smile for his guests. Dylan stayed in the corner with Joey, calming him down.