Chapter: 13

Audrey rushed into the hospital and headed straight for the locker room to change into her scrubs. How was she going to tell her best friend that her girlfriend was currently having heart failure? Taking in a deep breath of courage, Aubrey headed to the operating room where she knew Chloe was and entered the room, covering her face with a surgical mask. "Chloe how much longer do you have with this surgery?"

"Aubrey?" Chloe asked as she continued her work. "I thought today was your day off."

"How much longer, Chloe?" Aubrey asked.

"I just need to stitch him up," Chloe said. "Why?"

"Can someone else stitch him up?" Aubrey asked. "I need to speak with you."

"Jessica," Chloe said and the doctor nodded her head as she took over for Chloe.

Chloe washed up and disposed of her gloves and surgical gown before joining Aubrey outside if the room. "What's going on? Is it Beca? It's Beca isn't it?"

Aubrey nodded. "She's on her way here in an ambulance. I spoke to Jesse. It sounds like acute heart failure. She needs a heart and we don't have one for her. I'll get her stable and make her as comfortable as I can. There's nothing else we can do."

"I know," Chloe said, softly. "Thank you for taking point on this. I wouldn't have trusted anyone else."

Aubrey hugged her friend. "Of course. I'll always be here for you, Chlo."

A gurney came rushing down the hall and Aubrey pulled away to prepare to do everything she could for Beca.

Chloe's heart broke as she watched Aubrey disappear into an operating room with her girlfriend. Chloe looked at Jesse and he looked at her as if she held all the answers. She didn't know what to tell him, though. She could barely think right now. "Call her father." Chloe walked down the hall, entering the closest on-call room. She sat down on the edge of the bed and allowed herself to cry. Beca wasn't doing well and they didn't have a heart for her. It wasn't fair.

The door to the on-call room opened and Chloe felt someone sit down beside her. She then felt a comforting arm around her shoulders. "She's in good hands," she heard Stacie say.

"I love her... I'm in love with her," Chloe cried. "I don't want to lose her. Today's too soon. I'm not ready. I'll never be ready."

Stacie pulled the redhead closer to her. "I know." Stacie placed a kiss on Chloe's head. "Let it out. It's all right."

Hours later, Chloe found herself standing outside of Beca's hospital room. The girl had been stable for awhile now but the redhead had busied herself with making rounds and paperwork. She knocked gently on the door and pushed it open slowly. She saw Beca lying in the hospital bed.

"Look who it is," Beca grinned. "I was starting to think you were pissed at me for nearly dying."

Chloe closed the door and walked further into the room. "That wouldn't be fair."

"No, it wouldn't be," Beca agreed.

"But I was," Chloe said, sheepishly. "I knew what I was getting myself into when I found out about your heart condition. I knew how things could end. I was always realistic about it. I'm a doctor. I know survival rates and percentages. And I know you were afraid of this happening... me hurting. It was inevitable, though. I'm hurting right now because this sucks but I wouldn't change a thing... except the cardiomyopathy thing. I'm glad I met you and I wanted you to know that you mean everything to me." Chloe let out a breath. "That's all. I wanted to get that out."