Perspective #9

Perspective #9

"Come in," I said when I heard a knock on my room door. It was that same night, and I was trying to do my homework. Note trying.

Jamie walked in and made her self comfortable on my bed, ignoring the homework she was sitting on.

"Hi," I said.

"Hey," she replied. I waited for her to say something, seeing as she came into my room, but apparently, that didn't apply to this situation. She just sat there and looked at my wall.

"Is there any particular reason why you came in here..?" I asked.

She gave me a look. "Can't a sister just come to another sister's room and just enjoy each other's presence?" She asked.

I stared at her, but she kept up the act so I decided to play along. Like I predicted, three seconds later, she cracked.

"Okay, I lied, I wanted to talk to you," she said.

Sometimes, I think that I am a genius. Then I realize, that I am. "The floor is open."

"So, why have you been so mopey lately?" Jamie said.

I frowned. What kind of question was that? "What?" I asked.

"You act like someone died. Like you don't even want to live anymore," she explained.

I gasped. "I'm not suicidal!" I shouted.

She shook her head. "Calm down, I know you aren't. You're too chicken for that. I just mean that I haven't seen you smile in a while."

I gave her a big grin.

"Stop messing around, I'm serious. Even Robert thinks that you're just a naturally sad person."

Maybe I don't like Robert so much.

I didn't know what I was supposed to say to her so I just turned back to my homework and said, "Well, this work is really important and I need to concentrate, so..."

"Fine, I struck a nerve. I get it," she said and walked out the door.

I sighed. "Focus," I said and looked back at the piled of notebooks scattered all over my bed.

For some reason, I couldn't do it. The stuff that was normally easy for me was just slipping away. It wasn't like I didn't know how to do it, I did, it was just that my mind would start to wander. This hadn't happened since....

Mason.

Geez! What was this boy doing to me? I talked to him for one lunch period and he was already clouding my brain, making it hard to do anything at all. I guess I couldn't be friends with him like I thought. I'd have to just cut off all ties.

I looked at my homework again and decided that I wasn't going to be able to do it, so I pushed it away and just figured that going to sleep was my best option. It was late anyways.

"Kennedy, Mason's here to pick you up!" Jamie called from downstairs the next day, Saturday.

I looked in the direction of my door, terrified. What was he doing here? Then I remembered that I was supposed to pick up my camera from his house. I should've just told him to drop it off.

"Um, I'm not here!" I shouted down the stairs and ran to slam my door shut.

My excuse wouldn't last.