𝑵𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒆

/—————–––––––—\

/—————–––––––—\

Max woke up, she was sitting in the photography lab once again, she said at her desk, "Whoa," She mumbled to herself. Mr. Jefferson stood at the front of the class, giving the same lecture that he had previously given. Everyone was there, watching him and listening to his lecture.

"These pieces of time can frame us in our glory and our sorrow," Mr. Jefferson told the class as he paced. Max took this time to look around the class, Hattie sat in front of her, watching Jefferson speak, everything seemed normal. "From light to shadow, from color to chiaroscuro. Now, give me an example of a photographer who perfectly captured the human condition in black white... Anybody? Bueller?"

"Hattie?" Max whispered, she didn't get a response, "Hattie?"

"Diane Arbus," Victoria answered the question, just like before. 

"There you go, Victoria, why Arbus?" Jefferson kept pacing the classroom, hands behind his back.

"Because of her images of hopeless faces. You feel, like, totally haunted by the eyes of those sad mothers and children." 

"She saw humanity as tortured, right?" Suddenly blood splattered on the window this caused Max to jump, nobody else seemed to care, not even Hattie.

"Wait... What's going on? Why does nobody care? Why isn't Hattie responding either? Shit, what did I do," Max thought to herself, she was starting to panic.

"And frankly, it's bullshit... Shh... Keep that to yourself, seriously though, I could frame any one of you in a dark corner and capture you in a moment of desperation," Jefferson looked straight at Max as he said this. Then, the bell rang, everyone disappeared, it was just Max, Hattie, and Mr. Jefferson now. Max looked out the window, "Everybody is gone now, have I totally fucked up time? This doesn't make sense," Max thought to herself, as she stared out the window, she noticed dead birds lining the sidewalks, "Holy shit- look at all these dead birds... This can't be real."

Max stood up, approaching the door, Mr. Jefferson noticed her as she walked away, Hattie stayed still in her seat, "I see you, Max Caulfield, don't even think about leaving here until we talk about your entry." Max sighed and walked over to him, Hattie got up as well, approaching the two of them, she was oddly quiet, her eyes were soulless. "Girls, I'm so glad you are here- I just want to know if you two would like to spend the rest of your life in my Dark Room? You girls have something special, your purity inspires me so much, we could be happy together... Who needs selfies, Max? I can give you portraiture," Jefferson gave them a smile. Hattie looked over to Max then back up at Jefferson.

"Mr. Jefferson, I am so glad you told us this... Since Max has caused Nathan to die over and over, I can finally love you... Isn't that right, Max?" Hattie said to them, tilting her head to the side.