~-28-~

Splitting up between them and Rex's cars, they drove on the main highway until going off-road toward the headquarters. Zack leading them pulled off about a five-minute walk from the parking lot and drove into the trees for a short moment before stopping and getting out. The others followed suit and gathered together for further information. Zack handed out coms for everyone to wear.

"I made these myself so the Octagon can't intercept them. Go to the edge of the tree-line by the parking lot; I'm going to head in and get Mel out. Once we're ready, Rex, I want you to deal with the lights. After that, all of you put on your hoods and run over to climb onto the roof. There should be drainage pipes on the side of the building for you to use and your gloves provide extra grip. Whatever you do, don't take off your hood. Mel and I will meet you all on the roof and formulate a way back inside after analyzing McHall's reaction." Zack explained to them. They all nodded in understanding as Zack hopped back into their car and proceeded to the headquarters hoping everyone will actually obey. They didn't all find out about plan X the way he wanted so he had to adjust accordingly, hoping he did right.

Upon entering the waiting room, Zack noticed McHall wasn't in his office. Smiling wryly, he walked into the room, careful not to mess up any dust patterns or leave any prints as he opened the plastic bag he held and dropped its contents, the head of Lium Foltson, on the dark wooden desk. Grabbing a sticky note from next to the computer, Zack left a message next to the piece of the corpse: you're next. Dumping the bag in the trash bin, Zack slipped silently out and headed for the room he was supposed to kill Mel in. He stopped by Linda at the desk in the foyer and waited quietly until she said something.

"He's in a meeting. He said to go ahead and he'll debrief you later." She relayed to him. Sighing heavily, Zack proceeded to the orientation/ holding room. Scanning himself in, he quickly stood on the dented metal folding chair and pulled out the security camera, stomping on it for good measures.

"Took you long enough." Mel grumbled from where she sat on the edge of the bottom bunk.

"Yeah, yeah. Still as impatient as ever. Hurry and get dressed." He said, tossing her the uniform. He turned about as she got dressed so that he didn't get distracted and pulled out the two blades from the back of the bag along with her loaded gun, an extra magazine of ammo, and the belt of throwing knives; setting them on the cold floor. Once she was dressed, she took them each, sliding the knives inside of her boots, putting the ammo in one of her pockets, strapping the belt of throwing knives around her waist, and slipping the gun in its pouch on her outer right thigh. Throwing the bag over his shoulders again, he handed her a com unit and turned his on.

"Rex, you're set. Hurry before they notice the dead camera."

"On our way!" The brunette breathed quickly in reply. "Let's go guys! Zack, did you put the threat in place?" He asked.

"With a note." Zack answered almost cheerily.

"Wait, what threat?" Justin's voice cut in curiosity.

"Oh, Zack put Foltson's head on-"

"That information is really not necessary." Zack interrupted. "Just tell me when you're on the roof."

"Okay, even with that little bit of information, I can already piece things together... Jesus Christ, just how far is Zack really going?" Vanessa spoke.

"You know I can hear you right?" Zack said in annoyance.

"Shit..." She cursed in response, thinking she'd turned her com off to say that.

"If you're still up for it, I'll let you have a go at me, Vanessa, once this is all over. Just so that you don't kill me while we're fighting the real enemy." Mel said, causing silence to fill the void for a brief moment.