~-24-~

It was ten in the morning when Zack walked through the large double doors of the headquarters he'd called home the past 22 years of his life. All he'd ever really known and he was going to be destroying it in ten days. If things worked out. If McHall doesn't find a way to trigger him. IF this wasn't a trap to reprogram Zack back into obedience. Zack cleared his head of the endless what-ifs that all resulted in his utter failure to free the children in Betastone as well as all the agents here against their wills. He had a lot of lives resting on his shoulders to the point it was almost stifling. But this was also his strength. Zack was silent as he ran a hand through his hair and opened McHall's office door.

"There's no need to debrief you." McHall stood, buttoning the single button on his suit jacket and tugging the hem down. "Let's be off." As they walked around the large open octagon-shaped building, Zack grew suspicious.

"You're allowing me to see the way to the CAPF?" He asked.

"Of course."

"Why?"

"The location of the CAPF rooms are moved every couple months to make it impossible for you to find and will be due to move in the next six or seven days. So even if you could remember your way into this room, it'll be empty by the time you plan on attempting anything. That is if you plan to attempt anything?"

"Like what?" Zack growled. "What do you honestly think I could try to do?"

"Absolutely nothing." McHall smiled wryly. They took the elevator down and Zack glanced out of the corner of his eye as McHall pressed the button for the lowest floor and punched in a code. Zack gazed at the keypad a long moment when McHall stepped back before the machine moved and Zack leaned against the wall with his arms and leg crossed. Bowing his head, Zack closed his eyes, breathing slowly to heighten the rest of his senses.

"You seem awfully calm." McHall commented from where he stood with his hands behind his back professionally.

"Do I now?" Zack asked in response, glaring up at him.

"Indeed. Much more like you used to be. It's refreshing to see you in such a relaxed state again." All Zack did was glower. He wouldn't say anything and let McHall do the talking. Unfortunately, that would mean that he might hurt everyone again. Drastically. But, that's something he'd have to deal with when he got there. If he gets there. More like, if he walks out after this. It was quiet as they stepped out of the elevator in the Octagon basement that was lit up by pale white ceiling lights and small windows that were at ground level above head.

"I was thinking I'd take this time away from my Division to make a request." Zack spoke after a long moment.

"Oh? This should be good." McHall stopped and turned around, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

"I'd like more missions. Single missions."

"Any particular reason? I can't trust you much considering the last stunt you pulled."

"I haven't been on many missions because of that. None of the others trusts me after learning about Melody, but I've also realized that when I'm out with the others, they're just holding me back."

"What about that new girl you brought us? I figured you could teach her a thing or two like you did with Miss Halloway."

"She's too emotional." Zack mumbled quietly.

"I see." McHall gazed at Zack thoughtfully as the young agent crossed his arms and rose an eyebrow- gazing expectantly.

"Well?"

"We'll see." McHall answered as he turned around and continued walking. "I have to think about it a little more."

"It's not that hard." Zack grumbled under his breath and received a raised eyebrow from McHall who glanced back at him. "What? At least I kill all my targets. Unlike Roy..." He muttered the last two words, looking off to the side. McHall snickered. He knew that if anything ticked Zack off to high heavens it was an unfinished job. Not even the defiant side of him that had manifested for so long could stand it.