28 - Forumla

I sat at the end of the bed. Luke was laying on the pillow cradling baby Nick in his arms. His face was bruised and his nose was bent. He wouldn't allow for any of the doctors to clean him up. He had barely spoken and had moved back into my room to give Jamie his own space.

I laid next to him. He just stared ahead. Silence again. The same silence that had filled the room for the past couple of days. I would usually speak to Luke, telling him stories of my past and he just sat up motionless. Gripping tighter on the newborn. But I continued to speak to him, to make him know that he wasn't alone.

"I wonder what Nick will be when he's older. He looked smart. I think he'll be a doctor. I always wanted a little brother or sister. I always wanted a big brother too, that one came true." I smile and hold Luke's spare hand, he was cold.

"Do you want some coffee? Water? Food? Anything?" I ask him. He hasn't been eating or drinking very much for that matter. In was worried about him. He didn't answer my question and just continued to stare into the distance, the wall across the room.

I decided to go and get him something against his will. Plus I was getting pretty hungry. I touched the door handle and twisted it when I heard the first real words come out of Luke's mouth in days.

"I thought this wouldn't happen again" he mutters. His voice is crispy. It was the voice of a broken man.

I said nothing but I made sure he knew I was listening. I closed the door and walked back over to him.

"I thought this wouldn't happen again. That we were safe. That I could help. Wellington is just as dangerous as the outside." He sighs. Looking down at the baby wrapped in blankets and sucking on its lips.

"We are safe. What happened wasn't anyone's fault. It would of been worse if we were out there" I point outside the window and he gives me a glare as if I said something immensely wrong.

"I don't know Clem. I'm not fit to raise a kid" he glanced back at baby Nick.

"Yes you are! Don't say that, you're going to raise Nick right and that's all that matters. You're a good dad and I know it!" I argue back creating silence in the room again.

"I can't raise a kid without Anna. We planned everything out" he whimpers.

"Plans change" I said in a harsh tone. It sounded bad but I just wanted Luke to take a grip, to raise Nick and live his life.

He just began to stare into nothingness again. My comment sunk in, a single tear falls down out from the corner of his eye. He held Nick in one hand and then used his other hand to cover his eyes away from me.

“I can’t do it Clem” He was completely thrown back from Anna’s death, he hadn’t even asked for a funeral yet. He couldn’t speak in front of a group of people, he wasn’t fit and well enough for it. He was exhausted, I was sure he hadn’t slept for days.

“I can take Nick out for a little while” I offer. I wanted Luke to get better, it was as if he was ill.

He just holds Nick closer and gives him a cuddle before passing him over to me.I hold the baby. He was so small and delicate. He was letting out little whines, he was probably hungry. The collectors had found a shit tonne of baby formula just for Nick.

Luke sits up and rubs his face. It was covered in dried blood from where he hadn’t allowed anyone to clean it away from his tearful face. I take baby Nick out of the room and walk with him down the stairs. I could just imagine Luke laying on the bed in the room cleaning up his face hopefully, maybe even eating or drinking.

I take the baby down to the reception.

“There he is, he’s a handsome little fella” Turner says smiling at the baby. The baby had given hope to the people of Wellington a sign that things were getting better. It was a big news story and when baby Nick went outside he was usually surrounded by attention. He had only been out once and half of Wellington crowded around.