25 - Skatergirl

“So what do we do with them?” Jamie whispers to Luke but was still loud enough for all of us to hear.

“Yeah, we totally can’t hear you.” Nate says in a sarcastic tone folding his arms over in tatty jacket.

Jamie gives Luke and awkward look.

“We need to discuss this with people outside, it’s not our decision" I hear Luke say to Jamie. Jamie nods and begins to walk outside he gestures for me to come with him so I jog over to him leaving Josh with the new people and Luke.

“Do you trust them?” I ask Jamie.

“They don’t exactly look like murderers they look just as scared as you and Luke did when we first stumbled across you, same situation.” Jamie explains scratching his head through the black beanie on his head covering his scruffy ginger hair.

We walk outside and attempt to find anyone who is a higher level of status than us. I point out Danny to Jamie and we finally walk over. Danny was wearing his usual green t-shirt and had an angry look pasted across his face, as usual.

“We have new people, Nate and Brittany. Some guy in his possible late 30’s and a girl in her early 20’s. She says she studied medicine at Princeton, looks smart. We could use her.” Jamie explains to Danny. Danny just raises his eyebrow.

“Are they with anyone else?” He asks

“I don’t think so they looked pretty lonely, possibly part of a group beforehand but now they look as if they have stayed on their own for a long time, locked themselves in a bed store.” Jamie says rubbing the hair poking out the back of the hat.

“We need more people, they sound like reasonable candidates.” Danny explains turning away and not caring for whatever Jamie had to say next.

“So they come back with us?” I ask Danny anxiously waiting for a response.

“If she’s in medicine she’s useful. Guy sounds patrol worthy. If they steal our shit in the night it’s your fault” Danny gives us a look and we decide to go back and tell them the news.

“You guys can come” Jamie shouts as we walk back into the shopping mall. Luke is stood with his arms folded, Nate is a mirror image, Josh was playing with a knife and Brittany was sitting down on an old bench with her head in her hands.

“Go where?” Brittany asks lifting her head from her hands to respond.

“Wellington, our community” Luke says, aware of the situation.

“THE Wellington, as in the Wellington that everyone raves about. The Wellington that everyone spends ages trying to get to?” Brittany asks with excitement in her voice. Maybe her and Nate were originally trying to get to Wellington just like me and Christa. Maybe it really was the most spoken about place in all of America, it was possible.

“THE Wellington” Luke smiles as the smile on Brittany’s face expands.

“Nate, we can get to Wellington!” She screams in excitement, Nate was a little taken back when she grabbed him by the shoulders.

“Finally” He sighs just only cracking a smile.

I look at Josh and smile. This was the sort of reason why his father had created Wellington, for the idea of redemption. Help and freedom. Josh knew why I was smiling and just gave me a grin back. It was nice to see people smiling.

“So you want to come then, you’ll be assigned jobs etc and Brittany your knowledge of medicine could help. You will get protection as long as you pull your weight” Luke adjusts the backpack.

“I will try my best. How far do we have to walk?” Brittany asks.

“Just out into the parking lot. We have trucks. Few hours drive.” Luke explains.

“Impressive” Nate says nodding his head while producing a grin.

Jamie explains to them that Josh is the son of Turner. He takes them outside and explains to them what we are doing out here, why we were at an abandoned shopping mall in the first place. Brittany seemed to think the idea was smart but Nate probably wasn’t listening as much as he probably should've been. We never forgot the task at hand and asked them to help us clear the rest of the mall in search for supplies. I walk into the toy shop with Josh and we find Luke in the back of it, looking at the baby section.

“This one will do” Luke says as he picks up a flat pack baby crib.

He turns around and sees me and Josh looking at him.

“Y’all think it will be fine?” He says showing us the large box in his hand, struggling to keep it above his waist due to the weight of it.

“That kid will need some toys, I think we and Clem should look for them” Josh says, he just wanted an excuse to go on his own around a toy store, something many kids would love to do especially when you could take anything you wanted off of the shelves.

“Go on then, but don’t get too much. I’ll get moaned at by Danny” He sighs as he takes the crib out of the store to go and load it into one of the trucks.

“You want to do this?” Josh asks eyeing up the skateboards and other various fun objects.

“Hell yeah” I smile as I grab one of the skateboards and attempt to ride it, I put my foot on it and immediately slip and fall on my ass. Josh started to keel over with laughter.

"Its not funny" I lie as I get up laughing.

"Look let me show you" Josh immediately jumped onto the skateboard and pushed it a few times down the isles ending with a flip of the board and grabbing it in his hand.

"Skater boy?" I ask

"Danny taught me when I was younger. He was the skater, I got jealous so mum brought me my own skateboard on my 9th birthday, my brother hated me for that telling me that skating was his thing and I was just being an asshole" he shrugs his shoulders and chuckles a little, it sounded like talking about the past even hurt Josh. Even for the things that didn't really matter.

"I never got a chance to do anything like that" I admit shoving my hands in my pockets.

"You want me to teach you?" He places the board in front of me.

"I'm kind of scared" I admit

"You fight dead bodies and you're scared of a plank of wood on wheel, com'on Clem!" He laughs. Josh points to the skateboard and tells me to get on it.

"Two feet?" I ask

"Nope just one for now, you need to push with the other foot" he explains placing his hand on my shoulder so I didn't fall over.

"Like this?" I begin to push off with my foot and I loose my balance as I turn around to face Josh to smile at him to show off the fact I was actually doing it. As the board fly's out from beneath me I feel someone's arms wrap around me, it was Josh saving me from falling on my ass again.

"Woah! Be careful" he laughs. I stand up straight and watch the board rolls away.

"I don't think I'm a skater" I admit. I could feel my cheeks go slightly red.

"Well let's take it back with us. I'm sure Danny would love to skate about again" he says picking it up and swinging it under his arm.

We continue for the next hour to scan the shop for various entertainment. We played catch for a while before realising what we had to do. We took out an entire section of board games and shoved them in a shopping cart. A few soccer balls and footballs, basketballs and baseball sets. It would be awesome to get a few games going. A few cuddly toys for the baby and early learning stuff I picked up for Anna's new kid, I was actually excited for my new 'niece' or 'nephew'.