11 - Laundry day

"So did you have a good day at school?" Luke asks as he walks down and takes his shoes off. Finally he thought it was safe enough to take off your shoes for more than a second.

"It was okay. I'm not very good at writing" I admit slightly embarrassed.

"I can always help Clem, plus you'll get better" he rubs me on the back and I turn and smile at him.

"This place seems good" I say. It seemed safe and I trusted it so far, if things headed south I would quickly run away with Luke back into nothingness and danger.

"I think so. I think we have a chance of survival here. Hope" we look out of the large window and stare into the darkness, the candle light danced in the reflection as it sat on the desk.

"Hope" I repeat as the light flickers. It wasn't so cold in the building as it was in the small house we were in before. Although we had blankets here and in the house the office room seemed more homely. I didn't have to worry about a walker knocking on my door at 3 in the morning or waking up without any food at all.

"So how was patrol?" I ask Luke.

"It was okay, I just got shown what to do in an emergency and how to handle a stray walker by the fence. That's all my job consists of so far, kind of boring if you ask me" he smirks a little.

"Better than school"

"Maybe so, but I'd prefer to sit around people my age than be told off by someone like Harrison who is about 10 years younger than me" he laughs again he gets up and sits on the mattress.

"You coming to bed?" Luke asks as he sits down.

"I wish we had separate beds" I say under my breath.

"Do I smell or something?" He sounded offended but in a joking way.

"Its just there would be more room, that's all. But its warmer when we're together" I admit. Sounds a bit weird to say aloud but I say it anyway.

"We do have this big duvet though." He pulls off his brown sweater to reveal his white vest underneath he sleeps in. There wasn't a lot of clothing options and we basically wore the same thing everyday. I stayed in the same clothes and climbed onto the mattress next to him.

"It'll all be fine in the end Clem, don't you worry" he tucks his arms behind his head on the pillow and stares at the ceiling. It was hard to see him in the dark so I just tried to do the same.

"Who says I'm worrying?"

"Sass Queen today are we?" He chuckles.

I jab him in the stomach with my fingers again and he squirms.

"Just go to bed clemmy cloo" he teases and turns away from me. I listen to his breath for a while before falling asleep myself.

I wake up to a banging on the door.

"CHURCH IN 30 MINUTES!" A loud voice booms through the corridor. Luke sits up as well and we look at each other for a second before both collapsing onto the pillows.

"Even though I'm sleeping more, I still want to lay in" he laughs.

"Couldn't agree with you more" I rolled over and went outside into the hall and made my way to the bathroom outside. It was basically an outhouse which some unlucky person had to clean everyday. I stepped inside and blocked out the smell, my nostrils had become accepting to unpleasant smells so smelling peoples crap wasn't the nicest thing but it wasn't the worst.

Me and Luke walk down to the main yard where church is held, it was more like a car park but I'll let them call it whatever they wanted. We all crowded around a small podium in which Turner stood behind. Anna and Jamie stood quite close to us. Anna waved at me and Luke and we both waved and smiled back. Turner cleared his throat before he spoke.