14 - Merry

"Look Clem we don't have a choice" he shouts in my face.

I look around the room for something to use. An axe was sitting beside the door. I pick it up, it was heavy.

"Use this" I whimper as I pass it to him. I turn away so I can't see.

"I'm sorry Lee" Kenny proceeds to swing an axe towards Lee's motionless body. I stood still listening to the sounds of flesh being torn apart.

I woke up, there was sweat on my forehead but I felt cold. I pulled the duvet to my chin and tucked it under my legs, I felt like a caterpillar. I could hear Luke's quiet breathing and I shut my eyes again to go back to sleep. It had been a few days over a month since Luke had come back as a collector. Him and Anna had made their relationship official last week, it was good to see him smiling more often now he is with her.

I was getting on a lot better at school and I was finding it easier to write again, remembering the handwriting I had began to do when I was younger. It was easier when I remembered how to do it. Josh had invited me to play monopoly one evening last week, Luke had said yes so I went. I of course won after he explained the game to me a bit more. We had a good laugh, he was the only friend I had closest to my age, turns out he was 13.

"Clem wake up! Its Christmas for Gods sake." Luke begins to shake me. I force my eyes open and look at him above me.

"I'd prefer sleep" I say turning back over. What was the point in Christmas anymore.

"We have to go to church anyway. Get up lazy" he prods me in the stomach and I grumble. Inside I was excited for today, it was the first Christmas in a long time I could enjoy with the people I care about.

I roll myself out of the bed. We had been given a bed frame and a sofa for our room, Luke would sleep on the sofa every now and then. I didn't like it because I knew he didn't sleep well on it but some days he insisted.

I pulled my washed clothes over my head and walked downstairs with Luke to church, just like every Sunday but this time it was for Christmas. Everyone was gathered round the usual podium waiting for Turner to come out.

"Hey babe" Luke says to Anna. I stood in front of Luke so I couldn't see them but I could hear them give each other a small kiss.

"Get some mistletoe out for Christ sake" Jamie comes and stands beside me and folds his arms, I had a feeling he was jealous of Luke spending time with his sister. Jamie seemed to only have Anna and they always seemed to be together.

"Shut up Jamie" Anna remarks before sticking her tongue out playfully at Jamie. He sticks his middle finger up and laughs.

"I'm kidding this guy is great!" Jamie swings his arm around Luke and Luke pats him on the back.

"Right back at you" Luke replies. He was interrupted by a loud noise, it was Phil the patrol manager banging on the podium. This is usually just to get the attention of everyone before Turner comes out and speaks.

There he was, standing in front of us all. The man responsible for Wellington. The man who is responsible for my warm bed and room. He was a great man. He brushed his jacket before smiling at us all.

"Merry Christmas Wellington" he shouts. Everyone cheers. Wellington had quite a lot of people, I'd say around 40 people not including some of the guards that were patrolling the outskirts at the current time.

"Today we celebrate our second Christmas in this community, over the past year we have grown into something unbelievable. In the next year we will stretch Wellington to its limits and create a larger space for us to live and adopt new people, we will rebuild everything that was taken away from us by the undead. Lets not forget the original meaning of Christmas for the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. We have cooked deer for dinner tonight, collect at the main office at 5 if you want some. As always if you need anything come and speak to me. Merry Christmas everyone." He smiles at us all as he speaks.