3 - Grief

I found a bag underneath the bed of the second bedroom. It was so coincidental but I loved the idea of it being that easy. Me and Luke were having full nights sleep and meals. I would tell him stories and he would reply with funny comments or various stories from his childhood.

He would always say things like 'well I might of had a strange childhood but people weren't eating each other then'.

It was getting cold and snow began to fall outside. Blanketing the ground in a thick layer of ice cold snow. The house was quite warm if we kept the doors shut. Double glazing did the trick surprisingly.

We decided to make a fire after the snow had stopped. I wasn't sure whether the fire was a good idea or not but we decided to do it anyway. I was hoping maybe some of the people we left behind would see it, my heart strained whenever J thought about loosing that many people at once.

The fire was warm and it was nice as me and Luke sat opposite eachother with the fire positioned in the middle. I lifted out my hands so the warmth could give me a gentle touch. As soon as my hands began to roast I pulled them away only to tuck them under my thighs as I sat cross legged.

"You used to jump rooftops?" I question him. Luke begins to pike the fire with a stick.

"I know, it was stupid but I thought it was cool" He admits to me whilst shrugging his shoulders.

"Why did you do it?" I was curious to know, I would never get to be a teenager like he did. Not the way he did anyway.

"It was scary, parkour they used to call it. I was never any good but I didn't break my leg like my friend. We had to get him off of a roof with a broken leg, which isn't easy" Luke shakes his head at the memory.

I couldn't help but laugh at his stories. I barely had any stories to tell myself so I exchanged my thanks with warm smiles and giggles.

"So before you were with me, how did you survive so long? Was it that Lee man?" Luke asks me looking up from the fire. I swallow the built up saliva in my mouth and answer the question.

"He found me in my treehouse when it started." I pull the photo of him out of my back pocket. I unfold it to reveal white crease lines through Lee's face due to having it folded up inside my pocket the entire time.

"He taught me how to shoot a gun, to always plan ahead and keep my hair short" I added as I subtlety pointed towards my hair.

"I see you've cut it. Sticking to his word I guess, good job." Luke gives me a cheesy thumbs up and I respond to him with a lopsided smile.

I pass the photo of Lee to Luke for him to look at. He studies it.

"I had to shoot him." I froze at the thought, memories flooding back to me. I shouldn't have evene mentioned it, I knew it would make me feel upset.

"Come on Clem, you shouldn't think about that now. What's done has been done, there's no going back now." Luke then got up and walked around the campfire to sit beside me.

Without noticing I begin to whimper. Luke once again puts his arm around me and holds me close. Something that I needed right now, someone beside me lying and telling me it was all going to be fine.

"I know its rough. I never got to see my parents after all this shit went down. Then Nick was the only person I was close with, then he well...you know the story of that one." Luke adds onto his previous comment before sighing heavily and pinching the bridge of his nose.

There wasn't a person in this world who hadn't lost a family member by being eaten by someone, it was just normal in this world. No one had time to grieve or cry. Tonight was that night we were about to do so, it felt good. It felt good to finally grieve.