INSECURE, BUT HAPPY

Start from the beginning

POV YUE
As clients explore the Library, Dylan and I sit at the counter reading a book for parents.
I look up from the book and smile ... I've never seen Didi so concentrated.
I stroke his face and he reciprocates taking me by the hand, without stopping to read.
Suddenly, he sighs  and takes his head in his hands.
"Yueyue ... I don't know if I'll ever be able to do as this book says! It's full of rules and rules and rules ... my head is spinning!"
"You're right ... Didi ... I'm afraid we'll never be good enough for our daughter," I say, trying to hold back the tears.
"We have to try, ok? Together".
I nod, though at the moment I feel pretty demoralized.

At noon, we close the Library and get ready to go and pick up Yan Se.
At the kindergarten, Dylan again wears the dinosaur mask and I wear sunglasses.
Sun Qian delivers each child to their parents and when our turn comes, Yan Se runs in her father's arms and hugs us both.
"My love! I missed you so much" I whisper to her, breathing in the scent of her dark hair.
"How long are you going to hide? You haven't changed at all ... I already recognized you this morning," smiles Sun Qian.
Oh...
With no little embarrassment, Dylan and I discover our faces.
"Hi, Sun Qian ... It's been a long time!"  I greet her, blushing.
Dylan remains silent.
"Yeah! I never imagined that one day I would become your daughter's teacher ... The more I think about it, the more absurd it seems to me! Anyway ... I wanted to compliment you. Wang Yan Se is a polite, sweet, awake, smart and kind child . This morning she helped all her classmates. She looks very much like you, Shen Yue. You are doing a great job with her, you are good parents. It is clear that she's a very happy child, because she grew up in love.
But I had no doubt ... I remember how you took care of Wang Su!  That little monster ... How is him?  "
Still surprised by her words, Dylan and I look at each other in disbelief.
"Er ... Su's fine! He's twenty years old now and he's taller than me," Dylan says, awkwardly.
"Twenty years! Seriously ?! I can't believe it! Well ... Now I have to go to the other parents. See you tomorrow!"
"See you tomorrow!"
When Sun Qian leaves us alone, Yan Se asks her father to put her down and she takes a piece of paper from her backpack.
"This is for you" she smiles.
We look at our daughter's drawing ... It's me, her and Didi.
"What are these? Tears? Why am I crying?"  I ask her surprise, pointing to the blue dots under what my face should be.
"Yes! Because you always cry when you're really happy!"  she explains to me.
I see Dylan raise one hand and count 3, 2, 1 with his fingers ... At 1 I burst into tears, while he laughs.
"I love you so much!" I cry, filling both of them with kisses.
The other moms look at us like we're crazy, but I don't care.  Perhaps we are not perfect parents, but our child is happy ... We are happy.

POV SU
In the afternoon I call Yue, as usual.
"Hey puppy! How are you?" she asks me.
She seems busy.
"I'm fine, thank you! What are you doing?"
"I'm preparing a snack... Jaqi and Caesar are coming soon. We want to take the kids to the carnival. Where are you? In the bathroom?"
"Wow! Great! I ... Um ... Yes, I'm hiding. Xixi's mother took me hostage" I snort.
"Ohi ohi! Apparently your future mother-in-law likes you very much" she laughs.
"Don't laugh! Anyway ... How was Yan Se's first day at the kindergarten?"
"Good! Do you know who her teacher is?"
"Who?"
"Sun Qian!"
"I can't believe it! That witch!"
"Wang Su! Don't be bad!"
"Bad?! How can you always forget when someone hurts you ?!"
"It's been a long time! She still remembers you, you know?"
"Sure! I always ruined her plans with my brother," he grins.
"Tsk! Little genius of evil!"
"Anyway ... Yueyue, you look tired. Is everything ok?"
She stops and smiles at me.
"Everything's ok! It was just a busy morning ... I'll tell you later," she tells me.
"Ok ... Don't get too tired! Now I have to go! Say hello to Yan Se and Didi for me! I love you!"
"Bye puppy! We love you too!"

POV JAQI
While I'm in waiting to buy some water bottles, I watch Caesar and our son play on some mini cars.
They look so much alike!  I'm sure that when he will grow up, my child will make a massacre of hearts!
I smile and turn to our friends.
Yueyue and Didi are playing to chase each other along with little Yan Se.
Suddenly, Yue helps the little girl get on her father's shoulders. She stands on tiptoe to kiss Dylan and then she looks around.
She's probably looking for me.
When she sees me, she runs towards me.
"Hey Jaq! I'll help you!"  she smiles at me.
"Thanks! You know what? You and Dylan look like two kids at their first crush" I laugh.
"What?!"
"You still look at each other in that way! With little hearts in your eyes! You seem to come from a never ending love movie!"
Yue blushes and looks back at her husband.
Dylan notices and he sends her a kiss from afar.
"See?" I grin.

POV DYLAN
Jaqi and Caesar accompany Wu Shum and Yan Se on a merry-go-round and I remain alone with Yue.
She looks so happy!
As we walk, I take the phone in my hand.
"Shen Yue!"
She turns and as soon as she sees the phone she makes a funny face to tease me, so I take a picture.

"Shen Yue!"She turns and as soon as she sees the phone she makes a funny face to tease me, so I take a picture

I look at her and my heart starts to beat faster.
I wish we'll be children like this forever.
Suddenly she stops and takes my face in her hands.
Without any warning she kisses me and in a second I find myself lost in her, in her simplicity, in her warmth, in her loving me always, without limits, without barriers.
"You're the best dad in the world" she whispers with a smile, a few inches from my face.
"Even if I never tell her No?" I grin.
She nods.
"Even if I look more like a child than she does?"  I insist.
She nods again.
"Even if sometimes I fight with her because I want all your cuddles?"
Yue bursts out laughing and hooks her hands behind my neck.
"You're an idiot, you know that?" she says, with a beautiful light in her eyes.
"An idiot, madly in love with you" I lean towards her for another kiss.
"MOMMYYYY!"
Here she is!
Yan Se runs towards us and interrupts us.
Yue picks her up and our little girl fills her face with kisses.
"Hey! I was already kissing her!"  I mumble.
"I know," she replies, sticking her tongue out.
"Shen Yue! Tell her something!"
"I have two cheeks, you know?"  Yue smiles, rolling her eyes.
My daughter and I exchange a look and we understand each other immediately: I kiss Yue's right cheek, while she kisses the left.
Sometimes Wang Yan Se reminds me of Wang Su... And it makes me laugh thinking that after all, I have always had to share and I will always have to share Shen Yue with someone else... This is the price to pay for choosing to love the best mom in the world.
And I'm so happy... So, so happy.

Author's corner
Ciao!
Did you think to get rid of this story?
Phew, I'm sorry 🤭
These days some people are reading True Colors and seeing their votes and comments made me want to go back to writing about my two idiots ☺️ I missed them!  💛💜
So here's another little chapter ...
Who knows, maybe more will come in the future 😉
Meanwhile, thanks for coming back to read this fanfic and thanks for giving an opportunity to the stories that came after it ❤️
A big hug,
Lucrezia