Chapter 1

"I'm really excited for you to meet her. I can't tell you how much she's changed my life." Pete said to me as I was driving him back to his apartment with his own car, as he had been drinking earlier.

We had agreed last week that it was time I met his girlfriend. He had moved on really fast from his last relationship with Cazzie but that was Pete, so I was definitely not judging. He was quick to process emotions or maybe didn't fully feel them but yeah. 

She thought Pete was cheating on her with me. 

As if. 

I don't know anyone less into guys than me. Especially not with my best friend.
Pete and I had known each other in middle school. Both of our fathers tragically passed away during the 9/11 attacks as both of them were firemen and that tragedy brought us together.

I had been there every step of Pete's life, even after he made it big on SNL. I was proud of the achievements in his life and now he seemed genuinely happy with this girl. He did not tell me her name but I was still looking forward to meeting the girl who made my best friend happy. She was apparently also a celebrity.

"She just texted me, she'll be over in a few minutes. That gives us time to just chill out before." He said looking at his screen and smiling at it, guessing he was texting his girlfriend.

We arrived at his place and he threw his keys on the counter, taking out a tiny plastic bag from his pocket full of white powder. I knew what he was doing. I turned away to not look at him, I didn't really like him doing hard drugs. I had given him that talk many times but there was no use.

It was doubly uncomfortable as I knew his girlfriend was coming over soon, unless she encouraged his behaviour, then we would have a problem.

"Let's have a round of 'Call of Duty'." He said wiping his nose repeatedly from the powder he had just sniffed.

"Seriously man, you have to cut that shit out. I thought you said she made you a better person." I pointed out.

"She has, I don't swear as much anymore." I rolled my eyes and he laughed.

We had a few rounds in multiplayer and Pete kept getting killed. He probably wasn't even present as the drugs had probably started eating his brain away.

Around half an hour later there was a honk coming from outside and I looked over to Pete, who was just lost. He was staring into the distance. I snapped my fingers in front of him but no reaction.

These were the times where I couldn't stand him. He had his priorities all wrong and he always picked the easiest way out of things. He had blamed his drug consumptions on his dad's passing and used it as an excuse since he first tried it when we were both 16.

"Yo, it's probably your girlfriend, you should go and answer the fucking door." I was annoyed.

"Nah, nah, nah, nah I'm- I'm good. I just-just need to- take a n-nap." He said struggling to find words.

"Man, a fucking nap is not what you need now. Your girlfriend is literally right at the entrance. Get your shit together."

The front door bell rang. Pete had his eyes closed at this point and I was guessing he was out. I still checked for a pulse just in case and thank god he was still alive.

I sighed and got up from the couch making my way to the front door.

As soon as I opened the door, a sweet flowery smelling perfume invaded my nostrils and I saw Ariana Grande.

Fuck, he was dating Ariana Grande?!

She had a high pony tail that rested on the side of her shoulder, a black very oversized sweater, recognising it to be Pete's, and very high boots that went above her knees. She smiled very sweetly at me when she saw me.