16.

~ January 18, 2021 ~

Hallee smiled as she drove up to the house she had bought. It was about an hour away from the stadium, but she loved the small town feel of it. It reminded her of where she and Clint grew up. Plus she heard the schools were fantastic, so she enrolled Sabrina in pre-school right away. Clint has moved into the same neighbourhood two minutes away.

"That's for us?" Sabrina asked.

"Yes. This is our new home," Hallee smiled.

"Wow!"

Hallee parked the car in the driveway and got Sabrina and Morgan our of their car seats. She helped them inside and then went back out to wait for the moving truck. Hallee brushed her hair away from her face and pulled her jacket around her shoulders tighter.

"Hey, stranger! Been a bit," a familiar voice said. Hallee turned around and saw Scott walking over with Carly. She smiled and walked over to them.

"Hi, guys! What are you doing here? Hallee tilted her head at them.

"Our parents live next door."

"Shut up. I'm moving in here," Hallee smiled.

"No way! That's awesome! What brought you to Mass?" Carly asked.

"I had a great job offer with the New England Revs, and I wanted to be closer to Charlotte," Hallee explained.

"The Revs? Our parents just got us all season tickets with them!" Scott grinned.

"No way! That's awesome!"

"Yeah! So we'll be seeing you a lot more!" Carly grinned, "are the kids inside?"

"Yeah. Just looking around. I'd love to have y'all over once we're settled in."

"That sounds great! Can we help you move in?" Scott offered.

"That's so sweet of you, but it's okay. I hired movers. Plus I don't have a lot right now. I left most of the furniture in London. Wasn't worth it to me," Hallee shrugged.

"What do you have?"

"The kids beds were all brought over from London. I just bought a couch so I don't have to sleep on the floor," Hallee chuckled, "the floor or try and share Leo's dog bed."

"You don't have a bed?!" Scott's voice went up an octave.

"No. I didn't want to bring my guest room bed with me. But I got the kids' frames custom made, so I brought that over."

"You can borrow my guest bed until you get one if you'd like," Carly smiled warmly.

"Oh thank you, but I don't want to be a bother."

"It's no bother at all!"

"Oh no no. It's okay, thank you though."

Hallee pulled her jacket tighter around her as she looked down at her Apple Watch. It was a text from the movers saying they were for minutes out. She quickly hugged Scott and Carly before explaining what was happening. They nodded and waved good bye.

The movers arrived and set up Sabrina and Morgan's beds how they said they wanted them. Another truck arrived with the new couch. Hallee directed them on how she wanted it situated in the house. She also had them set up the TV and dining room table set.

She looked around thinking about how much work she had to do to get the house furnished and arranged how she wanted on top of being a mom and getting ready for preseason to start in three days. Hallee had never imagined that she'd be a single mother of two who were both not five years old by the time she was 23. But now that was her reality, and it was overwhelming to say the least.

Hallee set Sabrina and Morgan up with Tom and Jerry before trying to figure out what to do for dinner. She was tired and didn't really feel like getting both of the kids ready to go grocery shopping. She looked on her phone for restaurants near by that would deliver. She was interrupted by the door bell ringing. Leo ran over to the door. Hallee stood up and shooed him away from the door so she could open it.

"Hello!" Chris smiled.

"Hey, Chris," she smiled and let him in.

"I brought over some food. Thought you might not feel like cooking tonight," he smiled handing her a large glass Tupperware.

"You must be a mind reader. I was just trying to figure out what restaurant to get delivery from," Hallee smiled, "would you like to join us?"

"Sure!"

"Hey, Bina, Morgan. Look who's here!" Hallee called as they walked into the living room area.

"Chris!" Sabrina jumped up.

"Cap!" Morgan carefully scrambled down the sofa.

"Hi! How are you two?"

Hallee smiled and walked into the kitchen. She got plates and silverware out. She opened up the Tupperware and saw chicken, rice, and steamed veggies. She quickly made plates and brought them into the dining room. She walked back out to the living room and saw that Sabrina and Morgan were fake fighting Chris who was laying on his back with both of the kids sitting on his chest.

"Who's hungry?"

"Meeeee!" Sabrina jumped off Chris.

"Me!" Morgan clapped his hands.

"Me!" Chris raised his hand.

Dinner was a lovely affair. Hallee hadn't expected Chris to drop by—she didn't even know he was still in Mass after the holidays—but she was glad he did. She was excited that Lisa and Bob were her neighbours. She knew that Carly lived close by with her children and husband which meant Sabrina and Morgan would have friends too.

"Thank you, Chris," Hallee said as she cleaned up.

"Of course. Welcome to the neighbourhood! I hope you like it here!"

"I'm sure I will."

Little did Hallee know that she would grow to love and call Sudbury home.