Chapter 8

Deceit:

     "Is it okay?" Patton asks.

     I look at the two twin beds, side by side in Patton's room.

     "I just," He says, "wanted to make sure you were comfortable, but if there's anything else that would make it better I'll do it."

     "No, no. They're horrible. Don't change a thing."

He smiles, "Great, let me know if you need anything."

"Thank you, Patton."

He grins, "It's no trouble at all! I'm glad you're staying with us."

     I smile, this is much nicer than I was expecting, they've all been so polite to us. I was expecting everything to be tense and forced. But, Patton seems to really want us—to want me—here.

     "I'm gonna go make dinner," Patton says, make yourself at home!" He leaves the room.

     I sit down on the bed, it's rather comfortable. I'm astonished that he went through all of this trouble. Just to make me comfortable.

     I decide to go check on Remus, I have to make sure he isn't ruining anything.

     I head over to Virgil's room where I last heard them yelling.

     "—so then Roman decided to just drink it anyway!" I hear Virgil say with a laugh.

     "That's hilarious!" Remus cries.

     "I know, I can't believe he actually did it!"

     I push the door open, they stop when they see me.

     "Hey, Dee." Virgil says.

     "Hello, may I come in?"

     "Yeah, of course," Virgil scoots over and pats the spot on the bed next to him.

"Are you two having fun?" I ask.

"Yeah!" Remus yells, "We've been drawing for awhile," he shows me a drawing of a murder scene.

"That's lovely Remus," he smiles at me, "What about you Virgil?"

"Yeah, It's been great spending time with Rem."

I smile, "I'm glad, so...Patton has suggested we all watch a movie together tonight. And I of course think that's a terrible idea."

"Oh yeah, Patton loves movie nights," Virgil says.

"Can we watch a horror movie?" Remus asks.

"I...don't think anyone else would enjoy that Remus," I tell him gently.

"Oh," he says, "that's okay, I can watch a horror movie later."

"Great, so we'll all be downstairs watching a movie after dinner, right, Remus?"

"Yeah," He says.

"And we will act like semi human beings?"

"Maybe..." he says slowly.

"Remus?" I warn.

"Fine," he grumbles, "no severed limbs."

"Thank you," I tell him.

     "You're welcome," he grumbles.

     I smile, as long as I can keep Remus in check, everything should work out.

Roman:

     I walk into the kitchen to find Patton humming Christmas carols and making dinner.

     "Heya, Padre."

     "Hey, Roman," Comes his response, "Everything still alright?"

     "Yeah," I say, "it's actually not so bad, having them over, I mean. They haven't really been bothering me all that much."

     "Well, I'm glad to hear that, kiddo," he says, "will you join us for a movie after dinner?"

"Yeah, sure. What are we watching?"

"I don't know yet, I was gonna ask Dee and Remus what they'd like to watch."

"Oh," I say, Remus would probably have us watch something vulgar.

"Yeah, Dee said he wouldn't let Remus suggest anything inappropriate."

"Oh, good," I exhale.

"Yeah," he laughs, "I don't think I could handle Remus's movie choices."

I grab a glass from the cabinet and fill it with water, as I take a sip I watch Patton put his lasagna into the oven.

"Whew," he breathes out, "dinner should be ready in a little while."

He sits down at the table and pulls out his phone, he scrolls through it.

I sit down across from him and do the same, though I'm not really paying attention to what's on my screen.

I'm thinking about Virgil and how I've barely seen him today, about how he's spent the day with Remus. I don't know what the feeling that causes is, but I know it's not pleasant. Why wasn't I invited to hang out with them? Did Virgil like Remus more than me?

I shake my head, dispelling the thoughts.

     "You okay, Ro?"

     I look up quickly, "Y-Yeah, I'm fine, Pat."

     "Are ya sure?"

     "Yeah, I'm sure," I give him a smile.

     "Okay," He says, "could you go let everyone know that dinner is almost ready?"

     Right after he says that the oven dings, Patton gets up and rushes over to the oven.

     "Yeah, I'll go get them," I head off to go get everyone.

Remus:

I fling a bite of lasagna across the table at Virgil.

He gets ready to fling some back.

"Boys," Deceit warns, "Not at the table."

"Come on, Dee." I whine, we're just having fun."

"Well have fun in a less messy way," he replies coolly.

I pout, "Fine."

I squirt more hand soap onto my lasagna and take a bite, I look up to find Logan staring at me in fascination, and Roman in disgust.

     I shrug, "what? Would you like some?" I offer them the soap.

     "Absolutely not!" Roman shouts.

     "No, thank you, Remus," Logan says, I smile. He's consistently polite. I wonder how far I'd have to go to destroy that proper manner...

     Patton clears his throat, "Is the lasagna okay?"

     "It's great, Pat." Virgil says.

     "It is most favorable," Logan replies.

     "One of your best dishes," Roman smiles.

     "Absolutely dreadful," Deceit remarks.

     "Squishy," I cackle.

     Patton laughs, "Thank you, Remus."

    I beam at him, then turn back to my food.

I'm having a lot of fun, I get to hang out with Virgil, and nobody here seems to despise me as much as I thought they would. A pleasant surprise! I hope the rest of our visit is as fun as today.