Storytime

It was Little Mavey's b-day 3 days ago, also it was raining and thundering.

How coincidental.

(This bit takes place many years prior to the first book)

Tiberias Calore the Seventh, Crown Prince of Norta, (blah blah blah) was raised to be a leader the country needed.

At the age of five, he already thought he was doing a pretty good job at being a king like his father. Able to read (though not fluently), helping little ducklings cross the nearby pond (took him a long time due to his fear of water), and socializing. Always socializing.

At the age of six, he realized just how much afraid of the dark his little brother was, and how soft.

It all started on that night when he heard a shaking voice and felt tiny fingers on his shoulder. "Cal. Cal. Cal, please wake up. Please please please wake up."

"Hmm?"

"I'm scared."

He shook himself out of sleep. "There's nothing to be afraid of, Mavey."

"Yes there is. I'm scared. Can you help me?"

The older boy smiled. "Sure. What's scaring you?"

"It's so dark."

"Mavey, there's nothing wrong with—"

He stopped short when he saw his little brother's lip tremble. The gears were turning in Cal's head. What exactly do you do when a little boy is afraid? Talking won't really help, pushing him into a dark place to get over the fear—no, Elara will find out......

"Do you want to hear a story?"

Maven glanced around the room as if something would jump out at any minute. There was barely any light other than his brother's eyes and a candle.

He then nodded. "Sure."

Cal grinned, then shifted through a pile of books for something readable. "Ah. Here we have.....a book."

Maven rolled his eyes as he pulled back the blankets, and Cal settled in.

The book was pretty thick, by their standards, and Cal sighed as he opened it. "Here we go chapter one. Uh.....uh.....call me, Ish, Ishmae— yeah, I can't read this." He threw the book back and ran a hand through his hair.

Maven tapped his fingers together. "So... no story?"

"You know what, how about I make one up?"

"Sure?"

Cal's face split into a smile. "Okay then. Um, let's see here....there once was a little boy, a poor one that never, ever had a good....."

I have an excuse for posting late. I lost my iPad, and didn't know where to find it, but I'm here again.

This is the third writer typing, and have a good day🙂