Chapter Three: Iwuanyanwụ Nyere

Start from the beginning

School of journalism was more difficult than university, I was overlooked when tasks where assigned. Broadcasting agencies were hard to get but aunt Apụ had fought her way to get me a job in a publishing company. It was not what I had wanted but "lemonade could be made from that lemon" she had advised.

Writing came to me naturally; soon, it was bringing me into the spot light. Ebube on one of his visits had termed me a boring young woman. "Writers are boring, sister". A lot of criticism followed my work; it was a taboo to want fellow women behind those desks.

The editor-in-chief had warned my aunt about my ridiculous column about encouraging women to work. It was a relief when he was finally moved to another company. The new editor in chief was younger and more sensible. It was owing to the fact that he had the exposure from studying abroad, where women were more liberal. He wasn't as adamant as those who enforced or mandated traditions over women.

"The economy would grow if we had more labor force, let's not leave all to the men, those women have limbs as well"

I was the only female who had begun to work in the company but after two years, two women had joined. Part of my salary went into my savings, while the other went to my family.

"One day I would build an orphanage, I'll get establishments that'll help our community. The widows would have a steady source of income; our ladies will not just have basic education"

"You sound like a  politician, we all know they never keep their words” Ebube had teased. He didn't know that father gave me enough stubbornness from the gene pool. It'll take time, but it can be done.

Twenty three years later, I was a different woman. A mother of two children and a wife to a smart former editor-in-chief as a husband. It turned out we both had love for not just writing and strangely the setting sun but love for ourselves. The attraction had budded slowly from admiration. It was amusing  how our first date was at his office while we watched the sun go down eating akara and bread. It was there and then that I had gotten my first kiss and part of me wished I had captured that moment with my camera.

Going through with journalism as aunt Apụ had suggested and facing harsher criticism than she did, carved me into the strong, defiant woman I had become. My departure with her was a very difficult decision to make, but it was the best decision I had ever made. Nobody knew why father changed his mind about my leaving with my aunt; I often thought about it but disregarded it with time. Aunt Apụ had retired the year before and I regularly visited her family.

Dera became a business man and Ebube became a lawyer, Johnson thankfully did not pursue his dreams and we were grateful for that. After a harsh journey in journalism, my husband and I established a publishing company. Things were slowly changing in the society, fewer women began to work but a lot of people could not stomach the idea. I sat in my office staring out of the window as the sun began to set.

A huge picture of the sunset was framed and hung close to the window. One of the many dreams that came true, capturing the sun with a camera. After so many years the excitement and awe was still there. Ebube had come to visit me and for days I bore a burden that I wanted to share.

"Sister! Sister! do you think I can write a book about our family? Do you think my book would sell?" Ebube asked as he flipped through the pages of a magazine.

I smiled at him tearing my eyes off the dimming sun.

"What book? Since when did writing begin to interest you? I thought you said writers are boring and strange"

He merely shrugged before replying.
“You should be asking me what I want to write about”. Perceptions about things and people do change. I have this strong desire to write about you and aunt Apụ. The day you were leaving, when we were little. I saw father sitting alone on the car, he pulled me up and I sat with him. The sun had begun to set and he was watching it too. Then he said to me" the sun rises in the east and sets in the west". I nodded, I already knew that but then he continued.