Chapter Two : A Silent Wish

Începe de la început

"Dee why did you name her iwu?"

I stood where I was trying to grasp what father would tell her about my name. Father's grouchy attitude became evident with his response.

"It reminds me of the times when people valued laws in the society and the sun"

Of course, that wasn't the answer I was expecting but father must have said it to upset her. She didn't show any signs of anger when she questioned father again.

"Are you saying people don't value the laws in the society anymore? I thought you did or have you changed? Dee"

Father was obviously irritated but he didn't answer.

"Is she in school? “This time it was Frank who questioned father.

" Yes she is, she's in standard four now, and it won't be long before she's out of school. She could become or teacher or settle down like any proper lady”.

Aunt Apụ clearly disagreed with father, the lines of irritation could be clearly seen on her face but she knew better than to engage him in an argument.

The town crier has related the message and your introduction will be held tomorrow.

"The elders have been summoned and they're hoping to meet Frank's people tomorrow". Father spelled out the words to aunt Apụ and couldn't wait to leave the two. Dera, Ebube and I continued with eating the goodies aunt had bought, we occasionally thought of the concoction grandma would give us, but everything we ate was worth it.

Later in the day aunt Apụ had summoned all the children and gave us an envelope. She had given it to the oldest child and instructed us to use it wisely. We discovered that she gave us money; apparently the family tradition was that every suitor would give a considerable amount to children in the family. They too were giving away a member of the family even if they weren't quite significant in traditional matters.

Mother took our share from us with a promise of saving it to get us gifts, but we knew better. Once the money found its way into the edge of mother's wrapper where she tied money, it was the end of it. Preparations were made concerning the upcoming introduction and my aunts who were single were either engaged in chores or gossip. Some felt aunt Apụ was not punished for the rebellion she had pulled. I paid rapt attention to whatever she did and when she noticed that I was on her tail she called me.

Ebube, Dera got wind of this and soon I was not the only one facing her. There was never a moment of privacy with my brothers. All the children were before her and she started to question us about what we wanted to be in future. Everyone mentioned what they wanted to be, choruses of doctors, engineers, teachers could be heard.

The boys mentioned the first two, it was their birthright anyways. I told her that I wanted to be a photographer which earned me a good laugh from the other children including Ebube who I thought was on my side. She smiled at me and told me it would be better if I were a journalist.

It sounded funny because no woman had ever become a photographer or a journalist. I sat down quietly after that before Johnson one of the kids said he wanted to become a palm wine tapper. His dream was far more amusing than mine and by the time we were settled from the fit of laughter, she told us that she had something important to tell us.

I am a lawyer! “She breathed out

Most of us just stared at her with wide eyes and opened mouths. She just couldn't be, was it possible?

" Aunty, Aunty!" Ebube had a grin plastered on his face and I knew too well what the outcome would be.

“He asked if it was allowed, we all knew too well the line of work women were into. Father said allowing women to work and do good jobs like men aside teaching and midwifery would only bring disgrace and revolution to the males.