Chapter 39

Flakes fell slowly from the sky, Crowsky suppressed a shiver as he carried his prey back to camp. Leaf-bare had began, and the harsh season would soon be taking over the forest but Crowsky wasn't too scared. MoonClan has always been resilient during the cold seasons. They had no young kits to get greencough and many warriors were strong, he was sure they would be okay.

It had been a moon and a half since Rainypelt was welcomed into the Clan and it felt like she had been born into the Clan. She hunted happily with her new Clanmates, shared tongues with new friends and had fallen fast for Brambleflight. It was clear to the entire Clan that they two of them had become mates, and Brambleflight didn't seem bothered by the fact that Rainypelt couldn't have kits, he seemed to love her just the same.

Crowsky felt similar, he loved Frostfire but he didn't really want kits. It wasn't who he was and Frostfire understood that, he just loved having her around. She kept his heart high and full. Having Rainypelt around felt like he had a piece of his old life with him. She reminded him of the loners, he reminded him of Ivy. He had been so happy during that time, and when he lost Ivy he didn't think he would ever find happiness again but he finally did.

He found his happiness in Frostfire, in Silverpool, in Rainypelt and in training Ebonywing.

Ebonywing was adjusting well to life as a warrior, Crowsky could hardly believe that she had ever been an apprentice. Time has been soaring by, and I'm okay with it. Crowsky had finished a patrol earlier and was waiting for Frostfire to return from hunting so they could share prey. As he waited, Crowsky heard movement at the head of camp and the sharp tang of fear scent. He stood up, his fur rising. He spotted a patrol returning to camp, he knew that Ivystone's patrol was the one out right now, and sure enough he saw the deputy. Ivystone was behind held up by Shadeflower and Pigeonpelt with Stormfall, Cinderfur and Blossomfrost behind them.

Ivystone's voice was contorted, her eyes burning with pain. Crowsky noticed that Ivystone's hind leg was twisted at an awkward angle. What in the name of StarClan happened. Stonefoot ran from the elder's den to Ivystone's side and looked at her, eyes filled with concern. "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I'll explain." Cinderfur mewed. "She needs to go see the medicine cats." Stonefoot watched painfully as Ivystone was guided to the medicine cat den. "We were out hunting and Ivystone was chasing a rabbit, there was a rabbit burrow covered with snow, she didn't see it. She was moving so fast that she hurt her leg, we're pretty sure that it's broken."

"She should be fine." Stormfall assured him. "But it looks bad, she'll probably be off duties for a couple moons at least."

"I'm going to go check on her." Stonefoot turned away and trotted through the snow towards the medicine cat den.

The Clan waited nervously for the news of their deputy, if she was going to be off duties for a few moons, then how would she be deputy for the Clan? What would she do? The following day, Crowsky heard word that Ivystone's leg was in fact broken and she wouldn't be able to hunt or patrol for at least two moons.

Crowsky watched Cloudstar venture into the medicine cat den, presumably to talk to Ivystone about what the entire Clan was thinking. She was in the medicine cat den for a long time, when she finally came out, Ivystone followed with Stonefoot supporting her up.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a Clan meeting!" Crowsky gathered with the rest of his Clan, sitting with Frostfire, Icestorm, Rainypelt and Silverpool as he usually did. "You all know by now, but Ivystone has broken her leg. I didn't know what to do given her title as our deputy, but she has something that she wants to say."

With Stonefoot as her support, Ivystone began to speak. "With my leg broken I will be off duties for a long time. Since yesterday I've been thinking about this, my age is starting to show. I've happily led this Clan along with Cloudstar since she was made our leader, but I believe that I am no longer the best choice as deputy for this Clan." Gasps spread out throughout the entire Clan.

"Just because your leg is broken doesn't mean you can't be our deputy!" Smudgenose argued. "You're a great deputy!"

"I've loved being MoonClan's deputy, but I've made my choice. I'm stepping down as MoonClan's deputy and retiring to the elder's den along with Stonefoot while I recover. It's time for MoonClan to have a new deputy, someone younger than me, someone more fit to lead this Clan when the time comes."

Cloudstar nodded slowly. "My lives are wearing thin, so there's a high chance whoever I chose will become the next leader of MoonClan. I respect Ivystone's decision, and I am grateful for her service as my deputy from the moment that I received my nine lives. So I shall grant her wish. "Ivystone, is it your wish to give up the name of a warrior and go to join the elders?"

"It is."

"Your Clan honors you and all the service you have given to us. I call upon StarClan to give you many moons of rest." With those words, MoonClan was without a deputy. Crowsky wondered who would take her place, who would be MoonClan's next leader? "I've already chosen my next deputy." Cloudstar continued. "I say these words before the spirits of StarClan, so they may hear and approve my choice. Crowsky will be the new deputy of MoonClan!"

Crowsky's jaw dropped and he stood frozen in place. Me? He could hardly believe what he had heard and all eyes of MoonClan bore into his pelt. I never once thought about leading this Clan, why did she choose me? "Cloudstar I--"

"Since you returned you have placed your roots within this Clan, you've found your way to us and brought us prey, kindness and joy. I trust you to be this Clan's deputy, I know you will do right by MoonClan."

Crowsky's throat felt dry, he didn't expect this, but he wouldn't let his Clan down. "I wasn't expecting this, but I vow to all of MoonClan that I will do my best to serve MoonClan as your deputy, thank you for this chance and I hope I can live up to the legacy that Ivystone created."

"Crowsky! Crowsky!" Feeling his name be cheered by his Clanmates, he never once expected this but now that it was his life he felt inclined to serve his Clan to the best of his ability. I won't let MoonClan down.