Food Carousel

"Wait a minute," Mason said stopping in front of the glass carousel display near the counter, "That didn't have a piece missing earlier, did it?"

"I wasn't paying attention," Emma replied not giving it much thought.

"I hope to God they didn't get my cheesecake from here. Can you imagine what could be growing inside of it?" he asked thinking of all the health code violations.

"I doubt a small diner like this would risk their business on that one cheesecake," Emma replied, bored of the conversation.

"You're right. You're definitely right," he admitted as they walked out of the diner.

Mason dropped Emma off at her house, said goodnight on the front porch, then headed home. Along his fifteen-minute drive his stomach began to gurgle making him squirm in his seat. Thoughts of that cheesecake and his bathroom flashed across his eyes prompting him to floor it.

He slammed the car in park and ripped the keys out of the ignition after pulling into his driveway. There was no time to wait on the garage door to open and park it inside. Mason had more urgent matters to attend to.

The front door slowed him down after fumbling for the key that he rarely used. The lock that also rarely moved was slow to respond but once he was through, he was running to his bathroom.

Thirty minutes later Mason emerged drenched in sweat and stumbling through his house. His mouth was dry making his tongue stick to the roof of his mouth. He needed water in the worst way.

Leaning on the counter for support he slid his way towards the cupboard that held the glasses. He began to get dizzy and weak from the effort of walking. There was only one cure that he could think of.

With most of his energy drained he looked at the cabinet with longing, knowing there was no way he could take a glass out without collapsing. Mason moved a few more steps towards the sink to drink straight from the faucet.

He tried reaching across to lift the handle but barely moved his arm. With one last burst of energy he flung his arm at it hoping to hit it, but it went low hitting the side of the sink instead.

Mason collapsed to the floor.

A week later the local police found his body in the kitchen lying in the same spot where he collapsed. His skin had turned brown and parts had already flaked off. The body looked brittle, ready to fall apart.

As word spread more and more police officers came to witness the unusual scene. Eight police officers were standing over the body when one accidentally nudged the corpse causing it to collapse and spray out a cloud of dust.

Everyone ran outside covering their mouths, coughing and sneezing.

"That smelled horrible," they all said standing together. One cop reached inside his car and pulled the bottle of water out and guzzled it. He looked around for more wondering why he was suddenly so thirsty.