52

52

     “Damn it!” I heard Elliot holler from his office.

     I jogged down the hall and stopped in the doorway. “Everything okay?”

     “I left some important work at the office this morning.” He paced around behind his desk and shoved his fingers through his hair, then sighed and rested his hands on the back of his chair. “Would you hate me if I said I needed to go back?”

     “Of course not, Elliot. I was about to suggest it myself. Go. And I’ll take Cooper for a good run while you’re out. He needs the exercise almost as much as I do.” I stepped in and wrapped my arms around him. “So stop being pouty, Flint. Go get your important papers and then we can meet back up here.”

     “Okay, bossy,” he teased as he turned toward me, already feeling more relaxed. “How about we make a little bet here?”

     “Go for it.”

     “I’ll even walk to the office instead of taking a car. Whoever gets back last cooks dinner tonight. But you have to go for one of your normal runs! No short cuts!”

     “You’ve got yourself a deal, Flint.” I nudged him as I said his last name, trying to stifle a giggle as I did.

     “Bring it on, Reynolds.” He paused a second as if he was realizing something for the first time. “You know what?”

     “What?”

     “I won’t be calling you Reynolds too much longer.” He smiled and sat me on his desk. “I’m glad. I’m ready for you to have my last name.”

     “Me too. Me and you and Cooper will be our own little happy family.” I smiled back and wrapped my arms around his neck. 

     “And one day our little family will grow by a few, and we’ll be impossibly happier.” He leaned in and ever so softly kissed the hollow of my neck.

     I smiled and bit my lip as he sprinkled kisses up my neck. “You know, you probably shouldn’t be fraternizing with the competition,” I whispered.

     He chuckled softly, his breath tickling over my skin. “You’re so beautiful.”

     My smile widened and I pushed him back so that I could look him in the eyes. “And faster than you.”

     “Alright, Alright. Go get ready and we can ride the elevator down together.” He couldn’t hold back the laugh that came as he stood back up and buttoned the half of the buttons on his shirt that I didn’t realize I’d undone. 

     I blushed and brushed passed him. “You’re totally going to lose.”

     “Oh it is so on.”

     “Are you sure you wanna go through with this bet? I mean, I don’t want to damage your pride or anything,” I smirked at Elliot as we rode down the elevator. 

     He twisted up his face at me and stuck his tongue out like a little kid losing an argument. “Just get your apron ready, because I’m feeling pretty hungry… and I know I’m not gonna be the one cooking tonight,” He chuckled.

     “Oh? This coming from the man that I had to slow down for last time we ran together? Okay.” I raised my eyebrows at him, his face only a few inches from mine. 

     “How about a kiss for good luck?” He smiled his sideways, cocky smile that I love so much. “Pretty please?”

     I pursed my lips, purposefully taking as much time as he would allow. 

     He pulled me into him and pressed his lips firmly to mine. His hands roamed over every curve of my body and I prayed that the elevator doors didn’t ding open with someone there waiting. 

     “You know, I could just hit a button and stop the elevator where it is,” He whispered as he pulled back slightly.

     As if it had heard the conversation, the elevator slowed to a stop on the lobby level of the building and the doors dinged open.

     “Sorry, Flint. Looks like you missed your chance.”

     I was making great time considering how I went from running every day to running two or three times a week. I could hear my tennis shoes pounding against the pavement and scratching the ground beneath them through my headphones, blaring music into my ears. Cooper was right at my side, seeming as fit as ever. 

     “Aw! A puppy! Mommy, can I pet it?” A little kid walking by tugged at her mom’s hand in my direction.

     I slowed to a stop, turned back around, and tugged on the strings of my earbuds to pop them out of my ears. 

     “I heard someone wanted to pet my puppy,” I said happily to the little girl. “This is Cooper!”

     He immediately started wagging his tail and sniffing at the little girl’s face, causing her to giggle a high-pitched, shrill giggle that warmed my heart. 

     “Puppy! Mommy see?” 

     Her mother looked down at her daughter smiling wholeheartedly. She then looked back up at me and mouthed thank you

     After a few more minutes, her mother tugged on her hand and told her it was time to go. Her lip poked out and tears welled in her eyes. 

     “Bye puppy,” she said sadly as she was towed away. 

     I gasped for breath. 

     I wanted to die.