17

17

     I woke the next morning around 4:30—way too early—and Elliot was still fast asleep beside me. I smiled at the sight of him so peaceful. He looked younger while he was asleep… maybe it was because power didn’t radiate from him as it did when he spoke or even walked in a room.

     I slid quietly out of bed and down the hall to his library, Cooper following closely behind me. Once I had gotten inside, I clicked on a lamp and slid a copy of Romeo and Juliet out of the bookcase. The classic had always been one of my favorites in spite of its tragic ending, and I had read it countless times. Cooper jumped up in the big, comfortable chair next to me and laid his head in my lap.

     Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean…

     “Romeo and Juliet?” Elliot’s voice startled me and caused me to snap my head up. Once I was over the shock, I blushed.

     “It’s one of my favorites,” I admitted.

     “I love the way it’s written, but I hate the ending-”

     “Why?” I interrupted. “The ending is the best. It’s sweet and tragic all at the same time.”

      Elliot took a seat across from me and raised an eyebrow. I realized he was without a shirt, and I blushed more when I realized that I was wearing it. “That’s the problem, though. It’s tragic. I’m perfectly fine with not all books ending happily, but I didn’t think that they deserved to die like that.” Amusement filled his eyes. How was he so awake this early in the morning, and still make my heart turn cartwheels in my chest?

     “They didn’t. That’s the beauty of it. It’s realistic, because not all endings are happy and joyful. You don’t always get what you deserve, and I think that’s what Shakespeare was trying to show.” I bit my bottom lip and my cheeks turned redder. I sounded stupid.

     “I guess you’re right,” Elliot said, tilting his head in question. “I never thought about it that way. But I’ve always been one to root on the side of love.” His eyes softened at the mention of the word love and he gazed at me with a smile on his face.

     “It’s never a bad thing to do so,” I said hoping that he caught the affection that filled my voice.

     “Why are you up so early, darling?”

     “I don’t know. But I was hoping to let you sleep… I didn’t mean to wake you.”

     “Well, you didn’t. I rolled over and realized that you weren’t there, so I jumped awake. It frightened me at first, but I saw the light from the end of the hallway and came to offer you a cup of coffee.”

     I smiled a cheeky grin. It amazed me that Elliot cared so much for me. “Sure,” I said closing the book and placing it on the table next to me. “I’ll help.”

     Elliot stood and kissed me on the forehead, but placed the book back in my hands. I looked up at him in question. “Keep reading. Don’t let me bother you, darling. It’s early anyway. I’ll fix some coffee for us and then I may join you and read a book, myself.” He smiled and kissed me again before walking away down the hall.

     “I love him, Coop,” I whispered looking down at my dog that was strewn awkwardly across my lap.

     Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take. Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged…

     “How do you like your coffee, darling?”

     I glanced up to see Elliot setting a coffee mug down on the table next to his chair. “With two sugars and a little milk.” I smiled at him over the edge of my book as he retreated back down the hallway. I put my book down and pet Cooper’s head as I waited for Elliot to return.

     “Thank you,” I said as he handed me my coffee. He leaned up against the edge of my seat, and I noticed a scar on the back of his hip that I had somehow missed until now. “What’s this from?” I traced it lightly with my finger and took my first sip of my coffee.

     He glanced around to where my finger lingered on his skin and chuckled. “I fell off of my bike when I was… ten? I hit a barbed wire fence, but luckily that’s the only place that it left a scar.”

     I giggled. I couldn’t imagine Elliot being clumsy ever in his life. He was so graceful and polished now, that even as I imagined him as a child, he was still such. “You were clumsy once?” I said through another laugh.

     “Yes, as a child. Why?” A crooked grin spread across his face and he raised an eyebrow.

     “Well… You’re just very…” I bit my lip as I felt my cheeks grow crimson.

     “What, darling?” Elliot teased.

     “Um… graceful… and suave…”

      I heard him chuckle as he turned and squatted in front of me. “Is that so?” I watched the muscles in his abdomen flex as he maintained his balance. He steadied himself with a hand on my seat, but he didn’t need it.

     “Uh, yeah.”

     He smirked at me and chuckled under his breath. “Well, then, I’ll have to keep that in mind, Miss Reynolds.”

     "Yeah, sure, egotistic prude." I laughed softly and shook my head as he took his seat across from me.