6

6

     No! Not again. Please not again!

     I screamed out under the blow to my head. Then I collapsed, weak from being beaten. Tears soaked my cheeks and my hair was a tangled mess, still knotted from the fist of hair he threw me down with.

     “Please! Stop!” I whimpered.

     His shoe met my temple with enough force that I sailed halfway across the room and I yelled out in pain.

     “Shut up, little bitch!” He screamed.

     I cried out again, praying for someone to hear me. Blood oozed slowly from my temple as he grabbed me and held me to the ground by my shoulders. He sat, straddling my chest, suffocating me. I couldn’t breathe anymore to scream out. Any breath I did get in was quickly forced back out of my lungs under the weight of him on my chest. His nails dug into my shoulders, breaking the skin. Why? Why are you doing this? You’re supposed to love me. You're supposed to protect me from things like this! You aren't supposed to do this to me! Please! Please stop! 

     He stood again and tossed me up against the wall. I lay, curled into a ball on the floor. I was a mess, but I couldn’t get up. Or scream. Or even move.

     Suddenly I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. Comforting me?

     “Sam! Sam, please wake up! Please, darling, wake up! It’s me. Everything’s okay.”

     I shot up, gasping for air. “Elliot?” My thoughts and vision were both cloudy as I looked around in confusion.

     “I’m here, darling. You’re okay.” He pulled me into his arms and I started to realize my surroundings. My face was soaked with tears and Cooper sat at the edge of my bed, whining and whimpering like he used to when I’d…

     Oh. I’d had a night terror. They were so hard to wake up from, and they were always about… about my father. But it had been a long time since I had the last one. I sat, breathless, in Elliot’s arms and just let him hold me while I cried. My head pounded with pain almost as if I had gotten kicked in the head, but I knew that I hadn’t. Tremors shook my body violently.

     “Sam, are you okay?” Elliot’s hand was smoothing my hair comfortingly and he gently rocked me, trying anything to calm my frazzled nerves. I could hear worry clearly in his voice, but I couldn’t speak. Screams threatened to escape my throat if I dared to open my mouth. I shook my head slowly. No. I wasn’t okay. I sobbed into his shoulder, all but ruining his shirt, but he didn’t seem to care about anything but calming me.

     “Shhh,” he soothed, “You’re safe, here, with me. It’s okay darling. Everything is okay.”

     He didn’t need an explanation. At least not for the moment. He wanted to be sure I was okay, and I was extremely grateful for that.

     Cooper climbed, cautiously, back up onto the bed and laid his head in my lap. I tangled my fingers gently into his fur, seeking any refuge that I could find. I hated that I was in this state in front of Elliot, but he was focused solely on my comfort. How had he gotten back into my house anyway? I’d have to ask him when I could speak without screaming out or sobbing so much that my words slurred into incoherent noises.

     The three of us lay there, tangled awkwardly on my bed, until about an hour later I finally stopped shaking.

     “Thank you for staying,” I said hoarsely, my voice scratchy from screaming. My head still pounded harshly against my skull and my eyes were puffy and swollen. “How did you get in anyway?”

     His eyes looked worn and exhausted. Worry was still plastered all over his face, and I knew I’d have to explain at least some things to him. “I stopped by to get coffee and you weren’t there. Your boss looked at me like I had done something to you, so I knew she was worried. She looked at me like I'd kidnapped you and I knew that you hadn't shown up. I rushed here and heard you screaming…” his voice broke off, but he continued speaking after he took a deep breath. “Your spare key was hidden under the doormat, which is dangerous because anyone would check there, but I was glad that I didn’t have to bust the door in, because I would have. It sounded like you were being tortured, Sam. I was so worried… What happened? I need you to explain this to me, Sam. I’m sorry, I know I said I’d give you time, but finding you like this-”

     “I understand.” I took a deep, shaky breath. “It’s my father. He used to…” my voice wavered. “He wasn’t a good man.”

     Elliot tensed. “The scar on your shoulder?”

     “Yes,” I whispered. “And there are others. But he’s gone. He can’t hurt me anymore.”

     “But it still does hurt you… I’m so sorry, Sam.” He looked defeated. I felt so bad that it upset him so much, because that wasn’t even the beginning, but it was enough for now. “It took me half an hour to get you awake…” he trailed off and turned to sit at the edge of the bed, running a hand through his dark brown hair.

     I placed a hand on his shoulder, and his hand reached up to cover mine. “Elliot, I’m so-”

     “Don’t you dare apologize to me, Sam. You don’t have a thing to be sorry for.” His voice was quiet but harsh enough for me to understand that he was extremely serious.

     I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “Thank you,” I said again quietly. After a lingering silence, I stood shakily from the bed, staggered slightly, and Elliot’s hands quickly reached up to steady me.

     “Lay back down, darling. What do you need? I’ll get it for you.” He stood and began to lightly pull me toward the bed. I wavered slightly, but planted my feet, surprising myself with the ability to keep my balance.

     “I need to shower and get ready for work.” I shook my head and instantly regretted it. The pounding in my head intensified and I blinked hard to dull the sharp pain.

     “Oh, no you don’t. You’re in no shape to work. You’re staying right here and I’m going to take care of you.”

     “But I need to go to work. I want to go.” I scrunched my face at him for telling me what to do.

     “You’re not going anywhere. Now, lay back down and I’ll go downstairs and make us both some breakfast.”

     “What about you? You should be at work now and I’ll just go to work when you leave.” I pursed my lips at him and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

     He chuckled. “I’m pretty sure my boss is okay with me doing whatever I want.” He smiled crookedly as if he knew what it did to me, but I raised my eyebrows at him. “I’m my own boss, Sam. I can almost always do whatever I want. My employees work around my schedule.”

     “Arrogant prude!” I teased him, cocking my head to the side.

     “So lie back down, pick up the phone, and call your boss. She’s worried about you.”

     “Ugh!” I said finally giving in. It wasn’t like I felt very well anyway. “Fine. But I’m showering after I call her. I feel nasty.”

     He took my hand and kissed it. “Okay. I’ll feed Cooper and fix us breakfast.” Cooper sat up and cocked his head at the mention of his name.

     There was no use in arguing with him. He was stubborn and arrogant and used to getting his way, and he wasn’t about to let me out of the house. I sighed. “Dog food is in the pantry. Help yourself to whatever you want.”

      “Thank you,” he said a bit too triumphantly.