46

46

     I let the last of my curls fall into place and ran my fingers through the lot of them.

     “I’m home, sweetheart,” I heard Elliot call from the front door.

    “In the bathroom! I’m almost ready to get dressed. Don’t come in!”

     “Fine, fine.” I could hear the smile in his voice that made me wonder what he was up to. The door creaked in the slightest way, giving away his advances.

     I jumped to the door and slapped my hand flat against it loud enough to scare him. “I said don’t come in!”

     “But-”

     “I’ll be ready in ten minutes! Learn some patience!”

     “Fine. But I’m setting a timer. Ten minutes and I’m coming in!”

     “Whatever, pushy,” I laughed as I stepped back to the counter.

     I slipped the dark blue dress up over the black lace that clung to my hips and chest. I zipped it halfway, but couldn’t reach the rest of it no matter how contorted my arm looked attempting to pull at it.

     “Elliot? Will you-” I heard the doorknob turn and within the same second he was behind me. “Uh, will you zip me up?”

     His eyes traveled over my mirrored image for a moment before he shifted his weight backward. Warm fingers trailed the open zipper down to the small pull and slowly tugged it upward, purposefully brushing my skin as they moved.

     “You look ravishing, darling,” he whispered into my ear and leaned in close to me again.

     “You don’t look too bad yourself,” I smiled back at his reflection.

     “Well someone was hogging the bathroom, so I had to use the guest bath. Luckily I just bought some hair gel.” He winked at me and softly placed a kiss on the curve of my neck. I breathed him in as his hand moved down my arm and his fingers interlocked with mine. “I like the new dress. A lot.”

     “I’m glad.”

     “And I have the perfect tie to go with it.”

     “Good! I thought about picking one up while I was out but you have so many that I figured you already had one.” I winked at him.

     “Well then let me go put on a tie and we can leave.” He quickly kissed my cheek and jogged out of the bathroom.

     “Breathe, Sam. You’re doing fine. Enjoy this. Stop worrying,” I whispered to the mirror as I nervously smoothed my hands over my dress.

     “Sam! Elliot! You both look wonderful! Come in!” Catherine embraced both of us on the porch before following us inside the house.

     “How are the two lovebirds?” Mackenzie called as she stood from the couch with Ashley.

     “We’re great, Kenz,” Elliot said wrapping his large arms around his sisters. “How’s the family?”

     “We’re even better now that Sam’s going to be a part of it,” Ashley said as she and Mackenzie turned their embraces to me.

     I felt my face turn bright pink and smiled at them.

     “Elliot! Sam! Congratulations!” John entered the room raised his glass toward us.

     “Thank you,” I almost whispered.