Ninth - Caught in Love

"Brent? Brent?! Answer me!" I was panicking, but Brent wasn't answering. I became really worried. What happened to him? Why isn't he answering?

"Drew, what's wrong? Who was that? What happened?" Nico asked as he stepped on the break. He must've seen how shocked I was, I mean it was impossible to miss since I was trembling all over. "You're shaking..." Nico said and then moved closer. He held my back with one hand while he held my hand with the other.

The warmth of his hands calmed me down a bit. I couldn't explain to Nico what happened just yet, I was still pretty shaken. "Please, let me hold your hand for a while." I said as I tried calming myself down.

After a few minutes, I was finally able to calm down. I told Nico everything that I saw in the video call, and like me, he was speechless. "I'm sorry, I don't know what to say..."

"Do you think Brent is alright?" I asked. I know Nico doesn't have the answer, but I just needed to ask someone, I needed someone to tell me that my best friend is alright. I was simply that desperate.

"He'll be alright, you just have to believe that he's fine." Nico said and then squeezed my hand tighter.

Nico played music after that and that helped me to stop thinking about what happened, we didn't talk about the incident anymore, either. It was better that way, because the more we talk about it, the more rattled I become. I don't want to think about it further either, since no matter how hard I try, I couldn't comprehend what happened.

It was unnatural.

It wasn't logical.

It simply was impossible.

I was still worried about Brent, though he sent me a message that he was fine and that he'll call me in the morning after he thinks things through.

The whole time that Nico drove me home, I was quiet. After what I saw, I couldn't even think straight. If only there was something to take my mind off that unimaginable scene. I was very grateful that Nico was there with me, at that time, because if he wasn't, then I don't know what would become of me.

His mere presence calmed me down, it made me feel a lot calmer, a lot more composed.

We reached my home and I took my seatbelt off. I was about to step out of the car but Nico held my hand. "Are you sure you're alright now?" He asked. He looked at me with very worried eyes, his touch burned on my skin. I felt like he didn't want to let me go, as I didn't want him to let me go.

"I don't know..." I replied honestly. "Hopefully, I could just sleep this thing through."

"I could stay with you, if you want." Nico offered in a very comforting tone.

"No, your family is waiting for you. I'm a grown up now, I can pretty much handle myself." I said and tried to force myself to laugh, but an awkward chuckle came out instead.

"You don't have to act strong in front me." Nico said. "I am more than happy to give you strength, if you need, so, you don't have to force yourself." He said and then pulled me closer to a hug.

I embraced Nico back. "Thank you... thank you..." I said. Nico coming into my life is probably the greatest thing that ever happened in my life.

Our embraced ended and I moved away from Nico, my foot was already on the road when Nico said. "Aren't you forgetting something?" Nico asked seriously.

I looked around my body, looked inside the car, checked my pockets, and thought for a while. "I don't think so..." I said innocently.

Nico sighed heavily. "Really, how can you be so clueless?" He asked rhetorically. "Come here, I'll show you what you forgot."