Fifth - My Only Refuge is Love

I kept my head on Nico's chest until my tears stopped falling. I would have leaned on his shoulder instead if he wasn't too tall for me. I cried for a while, not because I was sad, but because I was really happy that Nico was worried about me.

Ending my life never crossed my mind. I knew that it was easy to misunderstand the situation since I was underwater for over a minute, but it was normal to me. Since I was young, I swam on the lake everyday – my Mom would always say that I learn to swim even before I know how to walk – and so I discovered at very young age that somehow I could stay underwater for a long period of time. I can hold my breath underwater longer than anybody else I know.

The atmosphere was just too tense and serious that moment that I couldn't bring myself to tell Nico the truth. I knew that if I told him that I wasn't really trying to kill myself, then he would feel embarrassed about his actions and things would be awkward between us for a while. Plus, I didn't know how to explain to him why I cried. It's not like I can tell him that I cried because I felt happy about him worrying without making things weird between us. I mean, if I said that, then he might guess my true feelings for him.

"I'm sorry... and thanks..." I said moved my head away from Nico's chest.

"No... it's nothing..." He said as he slowly removed his arm from my waist. When Nico removed his touch from my waist, I felt a burning sensation. The spots he touched felt really hot, it was like my body was craving for his touch once again.

"How lame... I just met you yesterday, and here I am at your pool crying..." I chuckled awkwardly as I ruffled my own hair. "I saw my Dad today..." I told him. Nico wasn't asking questions, he didn't force me to say why I was acting that way. He was simply there, listening to me, watching over me. "He was with his new wife..." I chuckled again. "It's ironic, since the reason my Mom and I moved here was to move on and forget what he did... He left us..."

"I understand... you don't have to tell me anything..." Nico said and then placed his big hand on my head. "If talking about him would only make you sad, then you don't have to force yourself. I don't like seeing you sad, it doesn't suit you. A smile looks better on your face." Nico said and the ruffled my hair.

My heart beat faster and louder because of his actions. My cheeks felt hot and I knew I was blushing, so I did my best for him not to see my face. It would be too embarrassing for me if he saw what I look like at that moment. I was trying my best to hide the erupting smile on my face, but Nico was making it difficult.

"Drew... can you smile for me?" Nico asked.

Why is he doing this to me? Sure, he supposedly saved me from drowning in his pool, but he's drowning me in his affection instead. My heart wouldn't be able to take all these.

I tried to sink in the water to calm myself down, but Nico prevented me by holding the side of my shoulders firmly. "Hey, what are you doing?!" He sounded worried.

"Swimming." I replied, quite nervously. "Don't worry, I won't try anything stupid." I said and then mustered all the strength in my heart. "I feel a lot better now. I just want to enjoy the water." I added then smiled brightly at him. My cheeks might be bright red that time, but I didn't care.

"That's a relief..." Nico sighed and then smiled back at me.

That night, I had the best swim I've ever had. Nico and I played on the water, jumping on each other's back, pushing each other down on the water, tossing each other on the air, and even racing against each other. I also laughed a lot that night. Nico had this ability to make anything more fun than usual. It may be just because I was in love with him, or it may be a real talent of his, I'm not entirely sure though.