• Twenty Seven ~ Ai Ai Captain •

Lily's PoV
Today was Rachel's last game in a Scotland jersey and emotions were running high. As expected the game was a sell out in under ten minutes. Even an hour before kickoff the stadium was 80% full as chatter and laughed fill the place. We got to chose who we wanted to room with for this camp and I was a bit torn on who to go with. Lisa, Claire and Rach had all asked me to room with them and I genuinely didn't know who to choose.

As for Lucy and I, we're on an indefinite break right now. It was a mutual decision on that we end things and we're on a speaking basis solely on the face that I wasn't completely honest with her either. Also because I'm looking out for to make sure none of the England girls have turned on her. Lucy was a little hard on her at the start but when she realised that Stan and I decided it mutually she got over it. She went and grabbed my stuff from Stan's place for me seeing as I'm in Glasgow for the week.

It was Stan who helped choose on who to room with. In the end I went with Lis because Iv've missed having her around so it was our way catching up. We've been getting on fine and haven't had any major arguments. This entire week just seemed to pass by numbly and I didn't seem to believe that I'd never share the pitch with Rach again in a Scotland jersey.

It was in the 78th minute when Rachel's number went up in red for the very last time that everything became more real. The game had stopped as everyone applauded her and she received a standing ovation. Em was coming on for her and stood proudly on the sideline as she clapped for her captain. The girls all hugged Rach and she turned to me last. She took off the armband and tied it around my arm. "This is your team now." I looked at the girls in confusion and they all nodded their heads with tears in their eyes.

I hugged Rach tightly. "You got this Lil. You just have to sow them just how much this truly means to you." I looked down at the armband on my arm and smiled widely before looking up at Rach again.

"Ai, ai captain." She laughed and hugged me one last time before jogging over to the sideline. After a few minutes the game resumed and we built up the momentum. When the ref finally blew his whistle we all let out a sigh of relief. It was a long game and ended in a draw because of how evenly matched we were. I still managed to score twice and assist Erin on her goal. I was still relieved the game was over though, I was more than ready to head back to the hotel and sleep for the night.

Lisa dragged me over to where my family was and I squealed when I saw my grandparents there. We both ran over and granny pulled us into one big hug. We spoke with them for a while before we were summoned back to the field. Just as I was about to walk away granny grabbed my arm. I looked at her in confusion and she smiled softly. "If you don't go after what you want, you'll never get it." I nodded my head and smiled softly before turning and jogging over to where Lisa was.

The stadium erupted in cheers as they showed Rachel on the big screen as she walked around very emotionally. I looked at the captains armband and smiled softly. "I uh, I wanted to thank each and every one of yous today who made the journey to be here with me on this very special night. It's been a pretty good ride for me and although I'm sad it's over, I'm really excited for this new chapter of my life." I looked towards Rach to see she was already looking towards me with a small smile on her face.

"I've met some pretty incredible people along my journey and had the chance to befriend a few of them. I'm really grateful for all the opportunities that football has given me over the last decade and I couldn't have asked for a better career. All this wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't for all of you, the fans, so thank yous all so very much. Enjoy the rest of your nights and yeah, thank you again." She waved to everyone around the stadium as everyone stood up and clapped. Rach was crying now and a few of the girls went over to console her.