• Sixteen ~ Unexpected •

Lily's PoV

I looked around the field inspecting the grass as the girls messed around. I had my headphones on and just kept to myself most of today. It was third place playoff in the Olympics. It was quite surprising to see that we were favorites to win today's game. Granny is convinced it's because they released the starting lineup the day beforehand and saw that I was starting. When she told Lisa her theory word had spread and now everybody is convinced of it.

I still had Evans 19 on the back of my jersey. Phil tried getting me to change but I liked 19. It was my number with the Royals so it had sentimental value to me.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned my head to see Lucy Broze standing there. I smiled softly at her and took off my headphones. "Uh hi." She chuckled and her smile grew.

"Hey, I just came to wish you good luck. We've got quite the ninety minutes ahead of us." I chuckled softly and nodded my head. We both looked around the stadium and I took in all the atmosphere as the fans made their way to their seats. "You know, I was quite surprised to see that you had chosen to sign overseas. I was kind of looking forward to sharing the field with you as a teammate rather than an opponent but then I heard that you were attending college. From past experience with attending UNC I gotta say you made a great decision." I looked over at her as she spoke. She looked at me and smiled softly.

"I'll be home soon enough I'd say. Maybe then we'll get the chance to play with each other." Her smile grew and she nodded her head. She stuck out her hand and I shook it firmly. Almost on queue both our names were called. We both chuckled and turned our heads to see Steph summoning us. "I'm really glad we get to share the pitch as teammates even if it was for a little while. It's been quite surreal."

She chuckled and nodded her head. "Wouldn't expect anything less Evans. Waiting on the day I get to kick your ass at club level though." I faked being offended and covered my heart as she chuckled. She shook her head and with a small smile on her face as we walked to our captain.

I looked at Steph and nodded my head to her. She looked between us in confusion. "What was that all about?" I glanced over at Lucy as she held her hands up in surrender.

"Just a bit of friendly competition. Nothing to worry about Steph." I looked over at her and she nodded her head. We walked into the locker room and went to our lockers. Mine was next to Ellen White and I smiled. I sat down on the seat and put my headphones back on as I changed. I had just finished lacing up my boots when we were called out to warm up. I taped my hamstring quickly to try help with the stiffness as I warmed up.

I walked out of the changing rooms and walked out to the field. I jogged over to my team and took a few shots with my weak foot watching them soar into back of the net. We did a warm up and had a little time to spare so I went back to shooting. It started to get a little crowded so I took to juggling the ball and keep ups.

We made our way back into the changing rooms and I put on my jersey as Phil spoke. I shut my eyes as he spoke taking in every piece of information. I know all the nation's expectations are falling on my shoulders for today's game. I've read the majority of news articles about today's game so I can feel the pressure. I felt a hand on my knee and opened my eyes to see Ellen looking at me worryingly. "You alright kid?" I smiled softly and nodded my head. She didn't look convinced but nodded her head.

It was finally time and we walked out to line up. I was held back last second by Steph and I looked at her in confusion. "Win, lose or draw today I will still be really proud of you. Don't listen to what any of the articles are saying because they're all a load of shite. We play this game as a team alright? We win as a team and we lose as a team." I smiled and nodded my head. She hugged me quickly and we walked out. I high fived all the management team as we made our way to the lineups.