CHAPTER 53:OPPOSITE OF LOVE

Marco's POV

"I had to, "I say like I always do.

I can see the color drain from Nat's face. 

Her face holds an expression of betrayal and she looks like she's holding back from screaming the word why.

Why though?

Why did I hurt that one person whose only intention ever was to make me happy?

How stupid and dumb could I be?

I think back to the times when she'd do anything to put a smile on her face and then I see the look on her face now and see how badly I messed up and how, I can never go back.

What all I did is finally coming back to me and I can do absolutely nothing about it.

I can't change anything, no matter how hard I try.

It's too late.

This realisation hits me so hard that I physically back away from her a little.

I try to open my mouth to stutter out some words and say something, anything really but all that comes out  from my mouth is nothing and Nat isn't looking at me to explain anything. 

She gets it and she's done.

It's over.

"It's over," I whisper to myself which snaps her attention onto mine and I get a good look at the expression on her face.

All amount of affection she ever held for me is gone now.

The new emotion, hatred, on her face makes me wanna run and never come back.

I don't think it's really new though. It feels like my eyes have finally opened and now I see clearly.

Her eyes flash with sadness and her voice is laced with venom when she says," Why?"

I take that as my cue to leave and I leave the both of them.

It felt satisfying to shoot Sophie.

I know it's not the right thing to say at this time but I guess I say the wrong shit at the wrong time. I'm not sorry that I shot Sophie and that makes me realise that that's even worse.

I'm not even sorry, I couldn't care any less.

It was about time someone did that.

She'd been a lot of shit and it was about someone shut her up but not at the cost of my and Nat's already broken relationship.

It was just starting to build up again but I'd lost her again.

Like always.

But this time it felt like there'll be no next time.

She's done with me.

And when I wanted her to fall in love with me I made her do the opposite.

I made her hate me.

The opposite of love.

=======

"Marco Accardi!What the fuck?"I hear my mom screaming in the phone and I have to pull the phone at an arm's length so that my eardrum doesn't get ruptured or something.

"What?"I say with equal harshness.

"Who told you to fucking kill Sophie Albergo?"

"My conscience"

"You don't have any, "she says which makes me snort.

"Just because yours doesn't exist doesn't mean that others doesn't too!"

I can hear her try to control her ragged breathing before she says,"Stop killing people for your personal gains!"

"Seriously?"

How could she even say that?!

"This is what this fucking clan is for okay?Don't tell me fucking what to do!Mom, "I say with venom laced in my voice and hang up the phone.

I even have to go visit the doctor because before shooting her I had to pin her down to the ground so she wouldn't move and she put up quite a fight.

I mean she could've easily beaten up anyone but too bad that it was me.

She hit me really hard on my forearm.

I guess it's broken but I don't really now.

Plus that treatment of lead poisoning is killing me.

It's so painful and that ass of a doctor said it won't hurt.

Stupid ass. 

I get another call from my second-in-command- Alex.

He's a really nice guy and is the only one from my clan who doesn't have vendetta against me.

"Hey"I say as I answer his phone call.

"Hey Marco! I found out that their is going to be a new leader of the Albergo clan'"

"I already know that Alex"I say with a defeated sigh.

"Okay. So the thing is that--"

"That?"

"The Alfonis 's are trying to catch hold of her and trying to influence her to make an alliance with then so that they can defeat us and then the Alfonis's can kill them all and take over the whole Italy by themselves."

"What? Seriously ?"

"Yes this is all confirmed news"

"Thanks man," I say and hang up.

This is the golden piece of information I've been waiting for my entire life!!

As soon as I hang up I call up Nat.

This is the only way I can get her back now.

"Hey, " she says with a defeated voice .

I don't think she even saw who was calling her.

"Hey, "I answer .

"Marco?"she says with surprise.

"Yes it's me"

"You know what??I don't have the energy or the time to waste on you anymore "

Ouch.

"You've gotta hear this "

"What? You're planning to kill me ? Well guess what I'm already dead, "she says with no emotion .

Fuck .

She's drained.

"Well Leo is using you . He doesn't love you"

"Uh hunh?"

"Yes. He's trying to use you to make an alliance and then defeat us--"

"Save it Marco. I love him"

"No you don't"

"Oh I so do"

"What about me then? Do you hate me?"

"No" she says.

That's a good sign!

Well hate is the opposite of love and if she doesn't hate me then--

"I don't feel anything about you anymore . Not hatred. Not anger. Not love. Not sadness. We're just strangers with some history", she says and bursts my bubble of hope.

"What?"

"Goodbye Marco," she says and hangs up.

And then it hits me.

The opposite of love isn't hate it's indifference.

I've lost all my chances of ever getting her back.