CHAPTER 34: PEACE

Nat's POV

"Dude, how will we convince my mother for the sleepover? And I have been missing a hell lot of school. I am done for life" I cry out.

I miss the times when the only thing I had to worry about was getting good grades. I mean, not to brag but I did get really good grades, not be-on-top-of-the-class-grades but close enough.

My favourite subject was Chemistry and I remember I wanted to be a scientist when I grew.

Now, that thought just seems like a dream I used to have and it just lowkey hurts but what can I do after all?

Maybe, if miraculously, this shitstorm ends and I manage to get out alive I can do what I really want.

"Hey, shush listen to me. Tell her that Leo has nightmares and he can't sleep without me and he will most probably get his meds by tomorrow. So just allow for today. Plus promise her you will be a good kid, "

Sure, as if.

"Good kid? I have never been a good kid. Plus that's a really really bad excuse, babe " I pat him on the shoulder.

Plus, she doesn't care.

"Hmm, let's just say you will try to be good?" he says as though that changes anything.

"Okay, I mean we can always try right ?"

"Always can," he says and smiles at me.

We go in and I call for my mother.

God, I really haven't been here for a while.

That's a good thing actually.

Don't regret spending time here and miss all those lone times here at all.

"Omg, look whose here ! " my mother says sarcastically.

I roll my eyes at her.

Sarcasm runs deep in our veins.

I look at Leo and ask him silently to help me out.

Help me out as in shutting her up so I don't say any stuff to her.

He nods his head and says " Ma'am I am so so sorry that I took your daughter away like that but the thing is I need some mental help as my uncle is in a coma . He had an accident and I haven't been coping well so she has been helping me lately. Please don't scold her " he says with a heartbroken expression.

This guy should totally get an Oscar.

He's a better actor than my whole family is.

"You're Leo, right? You should have told me before, son. It's OK. But she needs to be really careful as a lot of murders are happening. Plus we're Italian. So keep her safe. And Nat? I want you home more. I know you have been trying to help him out but this isn't how life works young lady. I will speak with you later," she says and glares at me with fake concern and I roll my eyes at her.

I will literally throw up.

I can't stand here anymore or things might go south. 

It's weird how even your house doesn't feel like home anymore. I like to think that being at home is more of a feeling or a person because a place just doesn't fit the description. It's just how they say it, a house is not a home.

God, I've never related more to that statement anymore than I now do.

This home conversation that I'm having with myself distracts me from my mother and by the time I mentally come back to them, Leo has a smile on his face and my mother is smiling a thin lipped smile.

Works for me.

"Ma'am can she come for tonight ?" he asks her.

"Yes but only tonight as she has to go shopping "

"Go shopping ?" I ask her.

"We're going to Italy soon !!" She exclaims.

What--???

"Aren't you happy?" she asks me with a smirk.

Of course, she would bring this up in front of him.

I try to fake a smile and say "Yah Yah just in shock,"

How could I forget?

After every summer we go to Italy to spend time with my family.

"It's probably not the best time, mom--"I start but she cuts me short.

"No ifs or buts. We are going end of the discussion," she says and I look sourly at her.

I look at Leo to help me out here. He just shrugs.

Even he can't help me now.

"Mom let's talk later?"

"No"

Fuck off.

"Nat...Let's get going?"Leo asks me.

"Ya, I sigh.

"Hey, Leo? Wouldn't your aunt and uncle think it is weird that I come to your house?"

"They left for Italy ages ago, Nat"

They did?

Then it strikes me that I just saw them like once or twice and never after that.

Guess I've been too self absorbed in myself and the drama that seems to surround me that I failed to notice this.

My bad.

"Oh, "I simply say.

____________

We reach Leo's house in another half an hour after we get my night bag. I am feeling too guilty about not spending time at home at all and at school.

I haven't been to school since I don't know how many weeks!

Oh my god, my teachers will literally kill me. Plus I have to go to Italy this month too.

Why is this month becoming so damn stressful?

This sucks.

"Earth to Nat!" Leo says in my ear and brings me out of my daze.

"Hunh, what ?" I ask him confused.

"I have asked you like twenty times if you want to have pizza or not," he says with a goofy grin.

"Your wish, Leo," I say and go back to thinking.

"Nat, forget about everything for tonight and let's just focus on the show we will watch tonight and what do we want to eat . I know it's really selfish of me but pleaseeeeee " he literally whines.

"Okay, I guess peace is needed, "I say and smile at him.

And I don't know if I am saying this to myself or him.

Both I guess.