CHAPTER 51: VOICEMAILS

Leo's POV

I can't grasp what's really happening right now.

Nat the leader of Albergo clan?

Don't we like have to do some mission before one can become the leader?

What was her's?

Making me fall in love with her?

My mind is spinning with all these questions and I try to hold onto something, anything really, but all my hands seem to grasp is air.

The look on my face defines betrayal and my hands are shaped into nails and my fingernails are pressing in way too much. A second later I realise that I am bleeding.

I take out my handkerchief from my pocket and try to wrap it around my hand the same way my brain's trying to wrap itself around reality.

I am able to cover my bleeding hand but take in the reality? Not so much.

I look around me and everything seems blurry. 

I start deep breathing and it helps me calm down a lot.

Instead of being impulsive, I try to think things through.

This is NAT we're talking about.

My Nat.

But even after all of this I fail to believe that our relationship was just a mission to her.

I know she loves me.

I know it since the day I saved her life.

She'd been grateful then but there was some other emotion in her eyes.

Affection.

And that's what made me still live there.

I knew it since the day I met her things would change and putting her life in danger would be the last thing I'd ever want and at that moment escaping felt like the best option.

But I couldn't do this to her no matter what.

I'd always been running and it was time I'd laid back and be where I was.

So I stayed.

And she fell for me too which was what I'd least expected.

But then again things happen when you least expect them to.

That's life.

Coming back to the point, if making me fall for her wasn't her mission then what was?

When I had to become the leader I had to kill someone of the enemy clan.

Nat is supposed to be my enemy.

And to become the leader you have to kill someone.

And the only person whose in real danger of dying is Mario.

What if her mission is to kill Mario?

I've to get back to America as soon as possible.

Even though this is a possibility, this is likely to happen.

I pull out my phone and call Alejandro's number.

"Hey sup man"he answers.

"I'm coming back to Detroit, "I say and hang up.

I think the war's just begun and it'll get worse from here.

==========

'Good morning passengers! You're plane has landed. Welcome to Detroit!Please unfasten your seat belts," the flight attendant says and wakes me up from-my-not-so-peaceful-slumber.

I'd been tossing and turning and trying really hard to sleep.

Guess it's just not in my luck.

I quickly unfasten my seat belt and jump from my chair which causes the flight attendant to exclaim,"Not so fast mister!"

I give her a polite smile and sit down.

I switch on my phone and look at the number of missed calls and voicemails from Nat.

A few are from Alejandro too.

I delete all the ones from Nat and send a message to Alejandro saying that I'll be reaching shortly and he better have my house cleaned up till I reach.

I don't want Nat to know I'm here.

Though it'll really hurt being back and not seeing her from my bedroom window when I look out.

But she did this to us.

On the other hand, I can't really be angry with her cause she's not the only one keeping secrets in our relationship.

Secrets and lies.

That's what our relationship is made up of.

The plane finally lands and I rush out of there.

It's funny that I'm rushing when I should really be crawling and not wanting to get out of here but I've got to maintain a facade and keep things cool and worry about Mario not being dead.

As soon as I get out of the airport I reach for my keys because this the airport where I parked my car before going to Italy.

Luckily I don't have to pick up my luggage cause I have none as I left it at Nat's uncle's house.

There's nothing important in them too.

My gun is with me with new bullets.

Nobody even checks me at the airport because we've already fed them money.

I reach my car and start it and take out of the parking lot.

As I hit the main road, my phone starts to ring which startles me.

I look at the caller ID and it's Nat.

I park the car on the side of the road.

Should I pick up the phone or not?

I have the phone in my hand as I'm lowering the volume of the radio I somehow accidentally I reject the call.

"Ugh"I groan and press my head against the steering wheel.

The whole universe is against me.

A second later I get the notification sound and open the pending voicemails.

Luckily there's one from Nat-

'Hey Leo!I'm really really sorry for lying to you. I had to keep it a secret as you did with me but when I found out your real identity I didn't freak out. I know I shouldn't say this but I wasn't the only one keeping secrets, you did too. But I'm really really sorry and I'll understand if you want to break up with me but please don't cause it'll really tear my heart apart. So please forgive me. I love you," the voicemail says.

Hearing the voicemail freezes me and I can't help but feel for.

I know I shouldn't forgive her so easily but I can't keep us going through this torture.

So I listen to my heart instead of my mind for once and send her a voicemail -

'You're forgiven'