Part 56

'I have to go

  'I have to go. Please try to understand. I'll be okay.'

  She was the worse daughter in the world, because she left that note laying on her bed, then she grabbed the bag she packed.

  She had to get out of here. No one could understand that the only way she could feel close to Jay was when she was alone in the silence.

  Then she could hear him. Then she could be closer to the part of himself that he left behind for her.

  She took all the cash she had in her purse and he had in a shoe box under her bed, then she left her phone in the drawer of her desk where the keys to the dorkmobile was.

  She grabbed them without letting herself think about how upset he'd be if he knew she planned on running away.

  He'd be spit fire mad, but he wasn't here anymore. Not allowing herself time to think about that, she grabbed the keys and quietly made her way down the stairs and out the front door.

  Jay's killer was standing nearby watching her. His dark hair greasy and his eyes dull.

  Sighing, she locked the front door and moved into the driveway next door. What was she even supposed to do with him?

  He still had on the same clothes he was wearing when he shot Jay. He was unwashed and his cheeks hollowed.

  "How old are you?"

  He cocked his head as he thought about her question. "In your time, I'm nineteen."

  "What are you going to do if I leave right now and you can't find me?"

  "I must find you. I must protect you."

  That's what she thought he'd say.

  She knew Jay couldn't exactly be picky at the time, but she wished he'd put a little more thought into her bodyguard.

  The last person she wanted tagging along right now was the guy who had taken everything away from her.

  "You can ride in the back of the van until I know what to do with you. If you even try speaking to me, then I will leave you on the side of the road and never look back. The only reason I'm taking you is because Jay would want me to."

  He inclined his head and headed for the van.

  Paisley took one last look at the only home she's ever known. She looked at the home Jay had only been allowed to have a short time and she wondered if she'd ever be able to come back. Would she ever get to see the people inside these houses ever again?

  She had to go.

  She couldn't stay here and be okay.