Part 19

  The day didn't go as planned. In fact, her whole plan hadn't gone as planned. When dressing up as sexy as she could didn't affect Jay like she wanted, she'd thought to dress up more like his type.

  Don't get her wrong. He had liked what he saw both times but instead of not being able to keep his hands off, last night he had felt like he wasn't good enough, and after today he had detention the whole week.

  He was turned on by her whether she was all dressed up or whether she was dressed in warm-ups and a big shirt, no makeup and her hair in a sloppy bun.

  Oh, he'd sent some heat waves out at seeing her all deck out, but he also had missed her just being herself. He was kind of pissed and turned on that her belly button ring wasn't fake like the lip rings, and he was just plain pissed that the hair dye would not wash out anytime soon. 

  On top of that, whatever Billy Topper had been thinking was bad enough that Jay had to be pulled off of him. The only reason he wasn't expelled completely is because Jackson was fast enough to get there before Jay could throw a punch.

  Face scrubbed clean and back into her regular clothes, she went downstairs. Her mom wouldn't be home for another couple of hours and Jay still had another hour of detention left.

  Seth wasn't answering his phone and the last thing she wanted to do is homework.

  She laid on the couch for a little while trying to talk to Jay but when that didn't work; she headed for the front door.

  Lisa was always telling her to come over and after today Paisley owed her an apology.

  Jack answered the knock. "Hey, there. You're just in time, Lisa was just pouring us some lemonade."

  "I came to apologize about today____."

  "Don't, we had a good laugh over it. God, I wish I could have seen his face."

  "He was a little dumbstruck at first."

  Lisa must have heard them coming because she had her a glass of lemonade waiting. "Next time you're going to throw my son for a loop plan it so I can be there. I would have brought my camera for that."

  "I thought it was all fun and games too until he got into trouble." She sat on one of the bar stools. "Then I just felt bad."

  "He'll be fine."

  "And you didn't make him get in a fight." Jack added.

  "Well, I still feel bad."

  Lisa was smiling softly. "I'm so glad you're in our lives. His life. It was always my hope that he could straighten out his life and have a future, but I never allowed myself to hope he'd be as happy as he is. Not after his past. Thank you."

  Paisley smiled shyly. "Thank you. Part of that is because of the two of you. It takes special people who can open up their home and their lives to someone who hasn't had an easy time of it."

  "Not special people, just people who have been there themselves. I still can't get over the fact that all his drinking and the drugs were just an act he was having to live." Lisa looked to Jack. "He didn't have one moment of withdrawals."

  Jack took his wife's hand. "Lisa had her own problems with that. He's lucky. It took her years to be strong without it."

  She had a hard time seeing Jay as anything other than her Jay. She couldn't see him as a drunk. To her he was always in control. Always in charge of a situation.

 "It's all a lot to take in. How are the two of you handling all of it? My mom has always known that I wasn't like everyone else and could feel things, but I know all of this is news to you."

  "True but we are used to the world being out of sync. I think nothing surprises us anymore."

  "Plus, when you have a past like ours you learn not to question things. You have your secrets you don't want everyone to know so you leave other people's secrets to them. I had Jack to share my secrets with and now Jay has you."

  She wanted to be that for him more than anything, but she could understand why he was fighting it. His secrets hurt him, and he wasn't ready to share them, wasn't ready to speak about them. She could be patient about that, but she was having a very hard time being patient about the intimate issue. For the first time in the world's history, it wasn't the teenage bad boy whose hormones were raging out of control.

  That was all her.

  I don't like where this is going.

  I've been pushing you instead of being understanding. She sat up straighter and her face paled. I've been peer pressuring you into sex.

  He had no thoughts for several long moments.

  "Paisley dear, are you feeling all right?" Lisa asked.

  "I'm fine. I was just thinking."

  I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. Finally came his comment.

  That's because you know it's true. You can read my mind, so you know it's true. Even right now I was thinking about how your voice makes me melt.

  He groaned. You're killing me.

  I can't help it. I miss you and I do want you. Like a lot. It's your fault. I wasn't like this till we kissed. Ever since then I have one goal on my mind. I've become the guy in this relationship.

  Paisley Douglas if you're smart you won't be sitting with my parents when I get there. I'm about to remind you who's the guy.

  She barely waved towards Lisa and Jack as she rushed to leave. As she made it to their driveway, Jay got out of his ugly van and took her hand so he could drag her towards her house.

  She was sure he didn't miss the thrill she felt.

  His lips were scorching, and she instantly went up in flames. One minute she was standing with the front door to her back and the next she was falling through time.