Part 11

Seth didn't come to school the next day. Neither did Jackson, so he didn't let it bother him too much that Paisley was only mildly worried about that news.

They had a very nice morning and when Dougie came knocking on his door upset, her daughter smiled and put her arm around her mom. She also apologized and promised that she would do better.

"It's getting sad. Don't you agree, Matthew? Who else would drive the dorkmobile when they have a perfectly good truck sitting in the driveway?"

"I'm willing to take either off his hands. I want to be early for Spanish, so I'll see you two for lunch."

Frowning, she shook her head. "I shouldn't have asked someone who wants to be early for Spanish. Peter?"

She yelled after a boy; he was pretty sure he'd never even saw before. "Don't you agree that the dorkmobile needs to be put out of its misery?"

"No way in hell I would drive it." The boy answered over his shoulder.

"See? I told you."

"You're going to ask someone who's name is Peter? I wonder if he has a____."

She hit him in the stomach before he could finish that sentence. When he grunted, she smiled and moved closer so she could rub his nonexistent hurt away.

"Sorry, baby. I was just picking. Even when you have to get out and push the dorkmobile to get it here, I wouldn't want to ride with anybody else."

"You're hilarious." He gave her a quick kiss or at least he meant for it to be a quick, soft kiss but she caught him before he could step back.

"When Matthew said he'd see us for lunch, you had a weird feeling. Why are you skipping lunch?"

He sighed and caught her hip so he could hold her close. "I would tell you, but you need nothing else to worry about. I need to go visit his dad and I want to get it done before he sees him again."

When she searched his feelings, he hid nothing from her. Finding he wasn't too worried about the situation; she gave a nod. "Okay. I'll leave you to handle it."

He knew she could feel that it was a subject that bothered him a lot, but it was also something he knew he could fix. It was also something he didn't feel like he should share with anyone. It was Matthew's secret to share and since he could no longer remember it, he wouldn't be sharing it with anyone.

After lunch he'll be the only one left who knew anything about it. And just to sweeten the pot, he was not only going to make sure Matthew's father never hit him again; he would make sure he turned into the best damn father in the world. In fact, he thinks at the very least that his dad owed him a new car and a few new sweater vests.

"Okay." She kissed his bottom lip, his top lip then his bottom lip again.

"That's detention McCarthy and Douglas."

Jay turned towards Mr. Vamp quickly. "Detention will not work for us today. She has enough on her plate right now. Since you're the vice principal I want you to go to the office and fix it where her slate is wiped clean. She doesn't need to be in trouble for skipping. This school could stand to be more lenient with her since they know everything she's been through."

After watching the older man walk away, Jay eyed the students who had stopped to watch them. "Move on." He ordered them and they did.

"You didn't have to do that."

"He's an ass." Since her arms went around his waist, she probably could feel how much he disliked what he just did. There was no limit to what he would do for her. He brought her hand up to his lips. "Don't sweat it, babe. I heard that they're serving up sloppy joes."

Seeing her grimace, he smirked. "Want me to bring you a quaky dog?"

Her eyes lit up. "Extra cheese?"

"For my girl you can have extra cheese and extra bacon."