Part 37

  He watched Paisley with her friends. She still wasn't speaking to him, but her love was there just like it always was.

  And it was a good thing, since the too handsome jackass had his arm wrapped around her waist and didn't look like he would let go anytime soon.

  He stiffened and watched a black sports car with the top off, pulled into the parking lot.

  Paisley must have felt it too because she looked that way for a moment before she looked back at her friends. One of the twins jumped out then opened the door for the girls.

 The twins still looked like all American football players, but the girls had both calmed down their looks. It was the school uniforms. Hard to look cool in khaki pants and polo shirts. Mac still had her purple hair and black lips stick and AJ still looked like the leader of the gang. It was a presence she gave off. Like she had all the answers.

  The twin in the lead winked as he passed him, Mack practically eye raped him before giving him a smirk.

  "Trouble in paradise?"

  If she would have paused, he would have sent her ass packing again, but she went on right pass him and into the school.

  AJ and the twin connected at her hip, stopped in front of him. Her wearing a huge smile. "I knew we would see each other again."

  "Any way to make this the last time?"

  She only smiled.

  Feeling Paisley's upset, he looked her way. She was giving heartthrob one last hug goodbye.

 "Wow. He's a lot of eye candy."

  "Move on."

  Her smile widened. "Sorry, but that doesn't work on me. Just like you won't be able to read my mind unless I want you to. Or any prophet. Or you might know me as a pantomath. It won't work on your mate either. Or your_______."

  "She's not my mate."

  She didn't lose her smile, and that was pissing him off.

  "Not only is she your mate but eye candy is your girl's mate. Strong mates too. Can't you feel it? I could as soon as I saw them together." She made a tasking sound. "They're supposed to be together and you're messing things up."

  "You're crazy."

 "Maybe. I hope you're ready to talk soon. We have little time before the calling."

  Paisley was already coming up the stairs, and she came to stand in front of him in time to watch the pair enter the school.

  Seeing the tears on her cheek, he caught them with his thumb.

  "What did she say to upset you?"

  When he didn't answer right away, she finally looked at him. "Whatever it was, it was horrible and caused you pain. What was it?"

  "She said that you and Seth belong together, and that I was messing things up by not letting you be."

  "And you believe that, or think that will change my mind about you?"

  It was clear to see that she didn't give a flying fig about whether it was true or not. Even upset with him.

  Sighing, she stepped closer to him. Then even closer still. "I don't care that you were sneaking out to meet that girl. I don't care about the pictures in my head this morning. What I care about, is you keeping things from me."

  She wound her arms around his neck. "I know you do it because you don't want to upset me, but you doing it hurts me. Which one would you rather?"

  "Neither. I want you so blissfully happy that you can't stand it."

  She smiled a little and kissed him lightly. "I love you so much I can't stand it. Isn't that good enough?"

  "No. I'm very selfish that way." He wrapped his arms around her and breathed a sigh of relief. "I don't like it when you're mad at me."

  "That's only because you haven't experienced the making up part yet. It involves lots of making out. Lots of holding each other. Lots and lots of me whispering sweet nothings in your ear."

  "It sounds like just what I need."

  "Me too, so why don't we ditch this place and leave those four for another day?"

  He sobered. "I have my secret for today."

  "I already know Kels likes to do body shots off of you. We can call that your secret for today."

  "I want to tell you this one."

  She caught his serious mood and probably the dread in the pit of his stomach because she stilled before her arms tightened around him. "Okay."

  "Want is the wrong word. I don't want you to ever know this. Never wanted you to, but.... well, we both know it will come out eventually so maybe it should be on my own terms."

  "There's nothing you can say that will stop me from loving you. Nothing that could make me walk away from you."

  "There's at least a dozen reasons why you should. This is just the first of many."

  "Tell me, Jay, so I can show you that you're wrong."

  "When I was sixteen, I killed my best friend."