Part 28

He could have left them to say their goodbyes

  He could have left them to say their goodbyes. Probably should have, but he couldn't bring himself to.

  He made it as far as the steps to his house before he parked his rear end and glared at the car where his girlfriend sat with her ex.

  He didn't have to hear them to know there would be a lot of apologies made, maybe even some begging. Reassurance and more begging.

  He should have saved her from all that grief, but just because he would rather die than listen to that shit didn't mean that she felt the same way.

  Whatever the pretty jackass was saying to her was making her feel better. She didn't want to be mad at the jerk, not while she was worried about him too.

  When Paisley's mood dipped, he knew Seth was telling her about him leaving town. His parents were finding him some help, and he thought it would be good for him to get away from here for a while.

  Jay's hands tightened into fists as he felt Seth's and Paisley's pain at the thought of not seeing each other for a while.

  Angel sat down next to him. He wore no shirt, and he kept yawning and scratching his chest. "What are we looking at?"

  "Paisley and her ex."

  "Ouch."

  "You couldn't find a shirt?"

  "I don't like to cover up all this perfection. I know why you'd be worried though. She seems to have a thing for big guys." He flexed his muscles. "She's not going to know what to think about all this."

  He rolled his eyes. "Want to know what I think?"

  "Nope. If you're not female, then I don't care. I barely found any action last night. You have to be going crazy around here. No babe is worth no social life. When she dumps your ass for that dude why don't you come back with me? I can show you a lot of fun and make you forget all about her."

  He rolled his eyes again. How is it he'd forgotten how annoying this brother of his was? Or whatever you wanted to call him.

  He stretched then did more scratching before standing. "Anything in the house to eat?"

  Too much more time with him and his eyes would stay in the back of his head.

  Angel was exactly what he seemed to be. A party animal and jock. He honestly has nothing in his head except for food, football, sex, and where was the next party.

  God, there would be so much freedom in that.

  Even in his drunken days he'd never known that kind of freedom. The only peace he ever experiences was in Paisley's arms.

  He watched her and Seth with unease. He was in a funk today and it wasn't because the Casanova asshole was here.

  Something nagging at the back of his mind warned that something was wrong. The last couple of nights he's been having weird dreams, and it was becoming harder to keep them from Paisley. Harder to shake them off. Something was coming.

  He could do a lot of things but see the future wasn't one of them, so he had no idea where this feeling was coming from.

  Something was coming, and it was something that could harm his relationship with Paisley.

  That thought was like a gut punch. That nagging feeling was enough to send him into a panic. He may look calm and collected, he might be able to portrayal himself that way to Paisley, but he was far from it.

  He felt like the air from the sky was slowly being sucked away and he'd have no way to breathe.

  There were only two things he could think of that could hurt his relationship with his girl. Him and his past.

  And how could he fight either of those things?