Sleepover?

I can clearly hear the air conditioner making loud noises. I can also hear few cars or what'sit vehicles outside, sometimes making screeching noises. It's still the hour of night when I jolt awake. I woke up from a noise.

Not that air conditioner or those cars outside.

It was the faint voices.

The faint voices that I'm hearing at this time of the hour. 

The cold breeze breezing out from the aircon just adds the chills to my spine. I know I should not be afraid of these. I've been a strong woman. I'm already an adult. This could have been from stress, a side-effect that causes me to imagine things at night. But the whispers are getting louder the more I ignore it. It's starting to bother me.

I turn over to the other side to face my husband. I smile, seeing him sleeping so peacefully. Surprisingly, he doesn't snore like he usually does. Oh, how lovely his snoring is.

I don't want to disturb his good sleep knowing that he's a very busy working man... but I just need a feeling of closure from him. 

I lightly shake my husband's arm and he responded groggily with, "hmm?".

Damn. It was sexy.

"Hug me, please. I just had a nightmare..." It seems like a lie but I'm experiencing right now is a nightmare. I'm surprised he didn't react to the whispers around. Maybe... it is in my head. Oh, gosh, I'm getting insane am I? Maybe I should consult with a psychiatrist, just as he jokingly said. 

He didn't reply but his action gives me his answer. He gets even closer to me, re-spread the blanket over us and holds me in his arms. Although his arms are unusually quite cold— maybe because of the aircon— I'm relieved. His cold hands brush my hair to my ears then plants a soft kiss near my shoulder. I smiled, feeling the warmth with just that kiss.

Although I can still hear the whispers, now add with soft, creepy chuckles, I sleep soundly, definitely safe in his arms. 

"Goodnight..."

X----- - - - - - - - - - - -----X

I wake up early in the morning and take a fresh bath without a sight of my husband. He must have left already to work. 

I'm thinking of making a lunch. Oh gosh, I was childish that yesterday night. I should cook his favorite food in return for my immature behavior.

After encasing his favorite meal and putting an appropriate dress, I drove toward the building where he works. Some of the employees greeted me a good morning, knowing who's the wife's manager. I did the same as I walk to the higher floor where my husband's office is. Of course, I knock on the door, then he responds by letting me in. I smiled at him when I opened the door. There are so many papers around his desk and even at the floor. I can really tell he's very tired. His hair is also a mess. But a good mess because... it still fits him.

Upon noticing his wife's figure, he cocks his head slightly upwards with his hazel eyes gleaming at me. He looks so exhausted but that didn't stop him to smile back, wider than mines.

"What brings you here, honey?" he asks me with his raspy, yet gentle tone. No matter how many times I hear his voice, it never fails to make me flush. 

I walk toward him and stretch my arms out holding the lunchbox, and place it on the corner of his desk. I place it in a way that his papers won't be moved nor disturbed. Looking at the lunchbox, he chuckled. "Thank you although you don't have to, honey." 

I giggle at his response. "It's a 'thank you' lunch for doing that childish favor of mine." 

"You're always childish, honey." He laughs at his own remark. And I have to admit, I was quite embarrassed. Okay, he got me there.

"But, what favor I did for you? I always do you a favor, I lost count." He continued after he calms himself from laughing. But still amused. 

"It was yesterday night," I curtly replied, trying not to sound that I was embarrassed, and trying to keep a cool demeanor. But I can still feel the warmth from my cheeks. I hope I'm not blushing. It just showed that he won... as always.

Though that feeling suddenly fades when he looks at me for a while, frowning.

"What do you mean?"

"It was the time when I ask you to hold me because I just had a nightmare," I explained, remembering that creepy experience last night. Thank God it was gone. 

"I....." His voice trail off, hesitating on what he will say. His confused reaction starts to scare me. "Didn't you.... catch the voice-message that I send to you at home around evening?"

I tilt my head, completely confused. I'm starting beginning to panic on the inside. What message? I don't even remember hearing a tone from the telephone. "N-no... I didn't know you left a message yesterday."

"Oh," my husband replies sheepishly, noticing my reaction. I can tell that my confusion and what I said is starting to bother him as well. 

Nevertheless, he continued to tell me what he said from his message. I stand there motionless as he says, "I left a message to inform you that I won't be coming home last night. And you replied that you'll have a sleepover with your friend."

//Another short story. I was sick that time that maybe that thing occurred to me. Needless to say, that idea is based on my experience when I was sick. Still sick right now. 

Peace. =Y