Melancholy

Real quick for those of you who don't know melancholy means this.

mel·an·chol·y

/ˈmelənˌkälē/

noun

a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.

K now that you know on with the story

He sat there reading the soft pump of music flowing through his speakers filled his room to the brim. His room was a prison, that's what it felt like at least. His pale blue walls resembled walls from a jail cell, his floor felt like stone... and his bed felt like a coffin.
He felt like crying, he moved his book aside as to not ruin it.
He hugged his knees to his chest.

Creak

His legs jetted out straight, he whipped his head towards the door. Oh. It was just his dad.
"Hey bud how are you feeling" he was holding a tray of food. Gage smiled when he spied the small plate of waffles, two strips of bacon, a handful of scrambled eggs and a glass of Ginger ail.
His dad placed the tray on his bedside table and sat down.
"Do you really need to check on me every other hour" his face contoured into a look of disgust when he saw the small bottle of dormantation his mother made. George poured the thick liquid into a teaspoon and practically jammed it in and out of Gage's mouth.
"The boss demands a full scale report on your well being at the end of the day, so yeah. You didn't answer my question earlier"
He swallowed the foul substance with vigor.
"Same as I was an hour ago, my insides feel like their tearing themselves apart, my throat is on fire and I get the occasional dizzy spell from time to time. That good enough for you"
His father nodded and picked up the bottle.
"Gage, I dont like how calm your being about this"
Dammit.
"Well, dad if you think about it, our whole job is keeping people safe and there's a whole lot of risk in that one of us could die out there. With that knowledge I just kinda got used to it"
He hugged his knees to his chest once more and stared out the window. His father put the bottle back on the table and wrapped his son into a hug.
"Gage"
"Yeah dad"
He rubbed his back. Tears threatened to spill.
"Don't ever talk about death like that again ok, you have no idea how much that would kill your mother and I... if either you or your siblings died"
...
"You think Ray will come home soon"
...
"Don't know son, I don't know"

_-_-_-_-_

The bus ride home was cold and lonely, she rubbed her eyes. They were puffy and red, rubbing her hand over both cheeks then under nose she sniffled.
She felt a hand on her shoulder and she turned to it.
"Debs, do you need a hug" she stared at him his brown eyes filled with remorse and worry.
"No thanks Wyatt, I'm ok"
A blonde head poked out from the seat behind her.
"Your clearly not" hazel eyes met his blue with a glare.
"I don't need your input Brandon, but thanks"
His eyes widened and he slowly slid back down into his seat.
She turned and stared back out the window.
"Debbie, look at me"
She did.
"It's ok really we're going out to find this guy tonight and we're not giving up until we do, so don't worry" she smiled and leaned onto him.
"Thanks Wyatt"
She dozed off.

-_-_-_-_-

She went home after the boys gave her the all clear. She was silent all the way to the car, she pressed the bluetooth icon on the radio and dialed the home phone.

Bring
Bring
Bring
Click
"Hello"
"Hey, hun I'm in my way home how is he"
There was some hesitation before he relayed the information.
"Are you sure"
"His words... Mara it seems like that stuff isn't working"
No. No.
"I need to head out so I can drop may off at her dance rehearsal, he should be ok until you get home"
"And how long will that be"
He asked where she was, she told him and he informed her about five minutes, by that time he would be half way there.
"Ok, I'll try to cut that in half so we don't have to worry" with that they bid each other goodbye and she hung up.
It took a little longer than five minutes to get home. She began to sweat as she turned down into her street, gradually gaining just a tiny bit as to respect the law and hurry the fuck up.
She released a breathe she didn't know she was holding when her car came to a stop in the driveway.

She killed the engine and climbed out, not even bothering to grab her briefcase before locking the car. She pulled out the house keys and attempted to slide them into the lock...

And then the door slowly creaked open.
It wasn't locked, he always locked it.
She didn't remember running, she just knew she was at his door. She slammed it open and froze.

"Shh, you don't want to wake him"
He was sitting on a chair next to the bed, one hand to his lips and the other stroking Gage's hair. The boy was fast asleep turned to his right side.
"I have to say, I'm rather impressed. Your boys managed to find my hideout in a span of an hour. Guess I won't be needing those plans"
She put a firm foot forward.
"The antidote then"
He cracked a grin.
"Oh, I don't have it, they do. Trust me when I say they grabbed the right one, it took years to develop a proper cure for the toxin. I should know, I tested it on myself when I ran out of volunteers"
She flinched.
"You're insane"
He shrugged leaning back in the chair, he brushed a tuft of hair out of Gage's face and smiled.
"You got one good kid Dr. Janets, I mean it. Too bad I'm a man of my word"
Before she could retort something hit her in the shoulder. She pulled it out.

A tranquilizer dart.

Shit.

He smiled as she hit the floor.