Sixth

Riko led our group through the tunnels. He seemed to know exactly where he was going while I only recalled slight familiarities with my surroundings. We passed several prisoners and the men following behind us pulled them to their feet. The further we went into the tunnels, the more people we gathered and the larger our group got.

We encountered a few stray guards, someone got hit with a bullet, but they would make it. My eyes constantly searched every face we passed by. A knot began to form in my stomach the more people we passed and the longer it got without seeing my brothers. I surely hoped that my worst fear hadn't come true.

I felt like we were travelling further underground, it was an odd feeling in my head, and the tunnels shortened in height. I felt a sense of claustrophobia rising in my chest, I swallowed hard and I must have been tensing my muscles because Riko suddenly pat my leg.

"They're okay," He assured, "That bastard probably sent them to the hardest section, we're almost there."

"Okay." I whispered. It was getting harder to breath again. The air felt thicker and impossible to circulate in my lungs. We hadn't passed any prisoners for a little bit and the empty tunnels were haunting.

Footsteps echoed in the silence and I strained my eyes through the low light to see shadows of prisoners up ahead. As we approached, I skimmed over their body physiques since I couldn't see their shadowed faces. My eyes stopped on one of the men.

Riko seemed to be studying the same man and he walked closer. The small group of men slowly turned to acknowledge our approach. I instantly saw my older brother's face. He looked a little thinner, beat up and tired, but his eyes lit up when he saw us.

"Eric!" I cried out and Riko set me down.

I limped over and threw my arms around my big brother. He held me in a bone crushing hug and I kept the tears at bay. I had seriously been assuming the worst had happened and I was preparing to never forgive myself.

"I was so worried about you." Eric said, his head resting on my shoulder.

"I was afraid you were dead." I replied.

"He kept telling us that if we didn't comply he'd kill you." Eric finally pulled away but he kept a hold of my arms, he frowned when he took in my appearance, "You didn't do anything stupid right?"

I smiled, "I shot him, broke his nose and possibly broke some ribs."

Eric slowly grinned, "That's my sister."

"Where's Cody?" I asked, glancing around at the men behind him.

Eric's expression fell, "He's...not." He trailed off.

My heart fell, eyes widening, "What? He's dead?"

"I don't know, he hasn't woke up."

"Do you know where he is?" I pressed.

Eric nodded and without another word, he led me further into the tunnel. I couldn't feel the pain in my leg and I kept pace with my brother. I felt the presence of the other guys and I heard them talking, but I wasn't registering their words.

I saw the end of the tunnel a few feet ahead but Eric turned left and descended into a little, dark hole. My eyes adjusted to the lack of light and I saw the faint glow of clothes. I realized that a few men were sleeping here, or maybe they were already dead. Eric knelt down by one of the sleeping bodies and I fell to my knees across from him.

Oh, please don't be dead, I chanted in my mind.

"Cody?" I called out. No response. I reached and touched his face, it was cool. I called out again and grabbed his arm, giving a light shake. Eric lowered his head.